Buckeyes Win Five Events at Ashland Alumni Open
April 26, 2015
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State sent a small group of athletes to compete at the Ashland Alumni Open Friday and Saturday in Ashland, Ohio.
Freshman Allyson Simmons led a group of blank event winners for the Scarlet and Gray, breaking her own school outdoor record in the women's pole vault with a first-place mark of 3.82 meters (12-6.50).
A Buckeye freshman was also a winner in the men's pole vault. Cole Gorski cleared the bar at 4.77 meters (15-7.75) for first, while his teammate, sophomore Nick Schrader, placed third at 4.62 meters (15-2.00).
Junior Rebecca Rings used a time of 2:12.01 to pace a group of four Buckeyes in the 800-meter run. Second place went to Courtney Clody, competing unattached, in 2:16.33. Sophomore Sahara Fletcher was third in 2:17.08, followed by Olivia Smith, who was fourth as unattached runner in 2:17.40.
Freshman Jake Mandel was victorious in his first collegiate steeplechase competition, crossing the finish line in a time of 9:41.13.
· Freshman Jared Ballenger turned in second-place performances in both the shot put (15.98 meters/52-5.25) and discus (48.28 meters/158-4.75).
· Runner-up honors in the men's 1500 went to sophomore Patrick Kunkel (3:59.20).
· Sophomore Indya Slaughter finished second in the 400-meter dash in a time of 57.94. Junior Bianca Rhodenbaugh was fourth in 58.57 seconds.
· Junior Brady Gelvin earned second in the long jump at 6.93 meters (22-8.75).
· Senior Jordan Moxley was fourth in the high jump with a season-best mark of 1.65 meters (5-5.00).
· Freshman Olivia Small was third in the triple jump (10.51 meters/34-5.75) and fourth in the long jump (5.34 meters/17-6.25).
Ohio State hosts the 30th Jesse Owens Classic May 1-2 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Hoying & Smith Nike Internship
Christina Manning - Hall of Fame Weekend