Ohio State Combines for Six Wins on Day One of Akron Invitational
Redshirt sophomore Nicole Flower won her singles match in straight sets.
Oct. 4, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team kicked off its fall campaign at the Akron Invitational Friday in Akron, Ohio, with a sweep in the doubles competition vs. Akron and a 3-3 singles ledger vs. Cornell in the hidden dual tournament. Freshmen Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus collected wins in their debut doubles and singles matches as Buckeyes.
"We had a couple of bright spots today from a few of our freshmen,” head coach Melissa Schaub said. “We have a lot of work to do moving forward, but I am glad we got this first day under our belt and can look ahead to tomorrow. The goal is to keep working hard and improving day by day."
The Buckeyes opened the tournament with a 3-0 sweep of Akron in doubles. The Buckeye tandem of Miho Kowase and Grâinne O’Neill defeated Akron’s Olga Shkundina and Martina Zebola, 8-6, while teammates Niehaus and DeSantis claimed the win vs. Caroline Harpaintner/Madison Cohen, 8-6, on court two. Redshirt sophomore Nicole Flower and senior Noelle Malley prevailed in a tiebreaker on court three against Ksenia Berestetska/Karolina Maksimava, 8-7 (6) to complete the sweep.
In singles play, Ohio State and Cornell split the singles decisions, 3-3. Playing at the No. 1 position in singles, De Santis cruised past Cornell’s Ryann Young in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0. Nicole Flower tallied another singles win for the Buckeyes with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Sara Perelman, while Niehaus posted a 6-1, 6-2, victory over Lauren Frazier on court five.
After splitting the first two sets on court four, Malley dropped the third-set tiebreaker against Laila Judeh, 5-6 (5), 6-3, 6-5 (6). O’Neill, who jumped to an early lead in her match against Marika Cusick, fell to the Big Red, 5-6 (5), 6-2, 6-2. Kowase was defeated by Alex D’Ascenzo, 6-1, 6-5 (6), at the No. 2 position.
The Buckeyes return to LaTuchie Tennis Center Saturday for day two of the Akron Invitational to take on West Virginia in singles at 9 a.m., followed by doubles vs. Cornell at noon.
Ohio State Results
Oct. 4, 2013
LaTuchie Tennis Center
Doubles competition vs. Akron
1. Miho Kowase/Grâinne O'Neill (OSU) def. Olga Shkundina/Martina Zebola (UA) 8-6
2. Sandy Niehaus/Gabriella DeSantis (OSU) def. Caroline Harpaintner/Madison Cohen (UA) 8-6
3. Nicole Flower/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Ksenia Berestetska/Karolina Maksimava (UA) 8-7 (6)
Singles competition vs. Cornell
1. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Ryann Young (CU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Alex D'Ascenzo (CU) def, Miho Kowase (OSU) 6-1, 6-5 (6)
3. Marika Cusick (CU) def. Grâinne O'Neill (OSU) 5-6 (5), 6-2, 6-2
4. Laila Judeh (CU) def. Noelle Malley (OSU) 5-6 (5), 6-3, 6-5 (6)
5. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Lauren Frazier (CU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Sara Perelman (CU) 6-1, 6-2
Buckeyes Top No. 15 Illini, 4-3