Feb. 2, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 55 Ohio State women’s tennis team (4-1, 0-1 Big Ten) dropped its first match of the season against conference foe No. 17 Nebraska, 4-2, Saturday at the Varsity Tennis Center.
The Cornhuskers improve to 5-0 on the year and 1-0 in the Big Ten.
“We really battled hard today and kept fighting through tough situations,” interim head coach Melissa Schuab said. “This puts us in a better position to be prepared for our upcoming matches and be ready for these opportunities.”
The two teams split the first two finishes in doubles. The OSU tandem of Fidan Manashirova and Nicole Flower lost to Nebraska’s Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova, 8-3, on court one. Gabby Steele and Grainne O’Neill finished second, defeating Maggy Lehmicke and Maike Zeppernick, 8-3, on court three.
In the battle for court two and the doubles point, the Buckeye duo of Kara Cecil and Kelsey Dieters rallied but fell short against Stephanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich in a tiebreaker to decide the doubles decision, 9-8 (9-7). Down 3-0 in the tiebreaker, the Buckeye pair rallied to tie the score at 6-6 before falling in the tiebreaker, 9-7.
Freshman Grainne O’Neill and senior Fidan Manashirova secured the two points for the Buckeyes. O’Neill battled back after dropping the second set to defeat Maggy Lehmicke in a supertiebreaker, 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (11-9). Manashirova topped Weinreich, 6-4, 6-3, in straight sets.
Playing at the No. 1 position in singles, No. 41 Kelsey Dieters lost in straight sets 6-4, 6-3 against reigning Big Ten Athlete of the Week Mary Weatherholt. On court two, Cecil fell to Veresova, 3-6, 6-1, while Flower dropped her match against Izabella Zgierska, 6-1, 6-3. Due to time constraints, Gabby Steele and Stefanie Weinstein did not finish their match after splitting the first two sets, 7-6 (7-5), 5-7.
The Buckeyes return to the Varsity Tennis Center for the last home match of their opening four-game homestand against Kentucky Feb. 12 at 4 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Nebraska vs. Ohio State
Feb 02, 2013 at Ohio State
#17 Nebraska 4, #55 Ohio State 2
1. Mary Weatherholt (NEB) def. #41 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) vs. Gabby Steele (OSU) no result
4. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Janine Weinreich (NEB) 6-4, 6-3
5. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (11-9)
6. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) def. Nicole Flower (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Fidan Manashirova/Nicole Flower (OSU) 8-3
2. Janine Weinreich/Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) def. Kelsey Dieters/Kara Cecil (OSU) 9-8, 9-7
3. Gabby Steele/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Maike Zeppernick (NEB) 8-3
Nebraska 5-0; National ranking #17
Ohio State 4-1; National ranking #55
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,4,6,1,3,5)
Di Lorenzo in Action at US Open