Ohio State Notches Second Shutout of the Season Against Cincinnati
Jan. 23, 2013
Columbus, Ohio - The No. 58-ranked Ohio State women's tennis team notched its second shutout of the season - and the day - vs. Cincinnati Wednesday night at the Varsity Indoor Center. The Buckeyes swept the Bearcats in seven singles matches and three doubles matches as they improve to 3-0 in the 2013 spring campaign.
"We brought a lot of energy today, and the girls really stepped up and played well," Melissa Schuab, Ohio state interim head coach said. "The players are gaining experience, fighting hard and dealing with situations that will help them later on in the year."
Wednesday morning, the Buckeyes shut out Toledo, 7-0. Against the Rockets, Ohio State dropped just one doubles match and won five singles matches in straight sets.
The Buckeyes won all three doubles matches to claim the doubles point. On court two, the senior duo of Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele topped UC's Ashleigh Witte and Kelly Poggensee-Wei, 8-2. The Buckeye tandem of junior Noelle Malley and freshman Grainne O'Neill defeated Sierra Sullivan and Carly Wilson. 8-0, on court three. At No. 2, senior Kara Cecil and sophomore Kelsey Dieters completed the sweep with an 8-4 victory over Jasmine Lee and Caitlin O'Gara.
The Buckeyes posted seven singles victories in the victory against the Bearcats. Junior Malley rallied to overcome Cincinnati's Sullivan on court five, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2, to preserve her seventh-consecutive singles victories and complete the team's second shutout of the season. On court two, No. 41-ranked Dieters tallied her eighth-straight singles win after dropping just one game to O'Gara, 6-0, 6-1. Steele notched her seventh singles win in a row with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Ashleigh Witte at No. 3, while O'Neill topped Cincinnati's Poggensee-Wei, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 4. On court six, redshirt freshman Nicole Flower posted a win over Wilson, 6-1, 6-3, in straight sets. Cecil defeated Lee of Cincinnati in a super tiebreaker, 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-3), on court one.
The Buckeyes will continue their homestand with Go Pink Day vs. Eastern Kentucky at 5 p.m. Tuesday in the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center.
Cincinnati vs Ohio State Jan 23, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio (OSU Varsity Tennis Center)
#58 Ohio State 7, Cincinnati 0
1. Kara Cecil (OSU) def. Jasmine Lee (CIN) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-3)
2. #41 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Caitlin O'Gara (CIN) 6-0, 6-1
3. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Ashleigh Witte (CIN) 6-2, 6-0
4. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Kelly Poggensee-Wei (CIN) 6-2, 6-2
5. Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Sierra Sullivan (CIN) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
6. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Carly Wilson (CIN) 6-1, 6-3
1. Kara Cecil/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Jasmine Lee/Caitlin O'Gara (CIN) 8-4
2. Gabby Steele/Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Ashleigh Witte/Kelly Poggensee-Wei (CIN) 8-2
3. Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Sierra Sullivan/Carly Wilson (CIN) 8-0
Cincinnati 0-2 Ohio State 3-0;
National ranking #58
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,3,6,1,5)