Buckeyes Continue Action at Tennessee Fall Invite
Grainne O'Neill claimed victories in singles and doubles action Saturday.
Oct. 26, 2013
- Tournament Central: http://go.osu.edu/UTfallinvite
- Sunday live feed: http://go.osu.edu/TFIlivesunday
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women's tennis team continued action at the Tennessee Fall Invite Saturday in Knoxville, Tenn. The Buckeyes dominated doubles vs. Kentucky, claiming wins on all three courts, and collected four victories against host Tennessee in singles competition.
The Buckeyes notched their second-straight doubles sweep of the tournament, defeating Kentucky 3-0. The freshman tandem of Miho Kowase and Gabriella De Santis notched an 8-3 win vs. Aldila Sutjadi and Cece Witten on court one. Grainne O'Neill and Sandy Niehaus topped Kelsey Dieters and Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff, 8-1, while Ferny Angeles Paz and Noelle Malley teamed up to defeat Stephanie Fox and Kirsten Lewis, 8-5.
The Scarlet and Gray combined for four wins in singles play vs. Tennessee. Despite dropping the first set, Kowase rallied to take her match vs. Tiffany Tavares, 3-6, 6-0, 6-1. O'Neill posted a victory in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, against Victoria Olivarez, while Niehaus defeated Brittany Lindl, 6-4, 6-3, on court three. Malley collected a 6-1, 6-0, win vs. Ashlee Boles. On court four, Angeles Paz battled to force a third set vs. Tennessee's Laurence Guevremont, but fell, 6-2, 5-7, 6-1. De Santis dropped her match to Joanna Henderston, 7-5, 6-4.
The Buckeyes will close out competition with singles vs. NC State at 10 a.m. and doubles vs. Tennessee Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at the Goodfriend Tennis Center.
Tennessee Fall Invite
Goodfriend Tennis Center
Day Two Results
Doubles - Kentucky vs. Ohio State
1. Kowase/De Santis, OSU, def. Sutjiadi/Witten, UK, 8-3
2. O'Neill/Niehaus, OSU, def. Dieters/Morin-Kougoucheff, UK, 8-1
3. Angeles Paz/Malley, OSU, def. Fox/Lewis, UK, 8-5
Singles - Tennessee vs. Ohio State
1. Joanna Henderston, UT, def. Gabriella De Santis, OSU, 7-5, 6-4
2. Miho Kowase, OSU, def. Tiffany Tavares, UT, 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
3. Sandy Niehaus, OSU, def. Brittany Lindl, UT, 6-4, 6-3
4. Laurence Guevremont, UT, def. Ferny Angeles Paz, OSU, 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
5. Grainne O'Neill, OSU, def. Victoria Olivarez, UT, 6-3, 6-4
6. Noelle Malley, OSU, def. Ashlee Boles, UT, 6-1, 6-0
Buckeyes Travel for Tennessee Fall Invite
Buckeyes in Action at ITA Midwest Regional
Buckeyes Set for ITA Midwest Regional