Buckeyes Start Strong at Tennessee Fall Invite
Oct. 25, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women's tennis team kicked off competition at the Tennessee Fall Invite Friday in Knoxville, Tenn., with a sweep of doubles competition vs. NC State and claimed four singles vs. Kentucky at the Goodfriend Tennis Center.
Ohio State opened the tournament with four singles victories in straight sets over Kentucky. Freshman Sandy Niehaus notched a 7-6, 6-0, victory vs. Caitlin McGraw, while Ferny Angles Paz recorded a 6-1, 6-2, win vs. Kirsten Lewis. On court two, Miho Kowase tallied a 6-4, 6-0, win against Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff, and senior Noelle Malley added a 6-3, 7-5, victory against Stephanie Fox on court six. At the No. 1 position, Gabriella De Santis fell in three sets to Aldila Sutjiadi, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4. Grainne O'Neill dropped her match to No. 55 Kelsey Dieters, 6-0, 6-1.
In doubles action, the freshman duo of Kowase and De Santis claimed an 8-5 victory against NC State's Joelle Kissel and Elisha Hande. Niehaus and O'Neill paired up to defeat Nicole Martinez and Christy Sipes, 8-6, while Malley and Angeles Paz posted an 8-2 victory over Sophie Nelson and Liza Fieldsend.
The Buckeyes will continue action Saturday and will face Kentucky in doubles at 1 p.m. and Tennessee in singles at 2 p.m.
Tennessee Fall Invite
Goodfriend Tennis Center
Day One Results
Ohio State vs. NC State - Doubles
1. Kowase/DeSantis, OSU, def. Kissell/Hande, NCSU, 8-5
2. Niehaus/O'Neill, OSU, def. Martinez/Sipes, NCSU, 8-6
3. Mally/Angeles Paz, OSU, def. Nelson/Fieldsend, NCSU, 8-2
Ohio State vs. Kentucky - Singles
1. Aldila Sutjiadi, UK, def. Gabriella De Santis, OSU, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
2. Miho Kowase, OSU, def. Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff, UK, 6-4, 6-0
4. Sandy Niehaus, OSU, def. Caitlin McGraw, UK, 7-6, 6-0
5. Ferny Angeles Paz, OSU, def. Kirsten Lewis, UK, 6-1, 6-2
6. Noelle Malley, OSU, def. Stephanie Fox, UK, 6-3, 7-5