Ohio State Falls to No. 16 Northwestern in B1G Semifinals
Freshman Gabriella De Santis
April 26, 2014
- B1G Tournament Central: http://go.osu.edu/B1Gtournament2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The third-seeded Ohio State women’s tennis team fell to second-seeded and 16th-ranked Northwestern, 4-0, in the semifinals of the 2014 Big Ten Women’s Tennis Tournament at the Combe Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill., Saturday. The Buckeyes, ranked No. 36 in the ITA poll, are now 19-8 overall.
After splitting the first two doubles matches, Ohio State dropped the doubles point to Northwestern to fall behind 1-0 after doubles competition. On court three, freshmen Sandy Niehaus and Gabriella De Santis defeated the 85th-ranked tandem of Nida Hamilton and Maddie Lipp, 8-6, to improve to 18-2 overall this season and 14-1 in dual matches, picking up their 13th win in a row. The 83rd-ranked Buckeye duo of Miho Kowase and Ferny Angeles Paz battled, but dropped its first match of the season, 8-7, on court three to Brooke Rischbieth and Belinda Niu. The pair are now 15-1 on the season. Northwestern clinched the doubles point as Grainne O’Neill and Noelle Malley, ranked No. 64 in the latest ITA poll, fell 8-6 to the No. 28-ranked doubles team of Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett on court one.
In singles, No. 81-ranked De Santis snapped her nine-match winning streak, falling to No. 37 Corning, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 1 singles. First Team All-Big Ten selection Kowase dropped a 6-2, 6-2 decision to 41st-ranked Niu at No. 2 singles, while Lok Sze Leung sealed the Wildcat victory vs. redshirt sophomore Nicole Flower, 6-3, 6-1, on court five.
Niehaus and Angles Paz each split the first two sets of their singles matches, while O’Neill had battled back to tie her second set at 5-5 when play was suspended.
Northwestern advances to the Big Ten championship match to face top-seeded Michigan at 1 p.m. ET Sunday. The winner clinches the Big Ten’s automatic berth into the NCAA tournament.
Ohio State now awaits a possible at-large spot into the NCAA Tournament. The 64-team bracket will be announced at 5:30 p.m. ET Tuesday on NCAA.com.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Northwestern
Apr 26, 2014 at Evanston, Ill.
(Combe Tennis Center)
#16 Northwestern 4, #36 Ohio State 0
1. #37 Veronica Corning (NU) def. #81 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. #41 Belinda Niu (NU) def. Miho Kowase (OSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alicia Barnett (NU) vs. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) 3-6, 6-3, unfinished
4. Manon Peri (NU) vs. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) 1-6, 6-2, unfinished
5. Lok Sze Leung (NU) def. Nicole Flower (OSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Jillian Rooney (NU) vs. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 6-0, 5-5, unfinished
1. #28 Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) def. #64 Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-6
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. #85 Nida Hamilton/Maddie Lipp (NU) 8-6
3. Brooke Rischbieth/Belinda Niu (NU) def. #83 Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) 8-7 (7-0)
Ohio State 19-8; National ranking #36
Northwestern 18-6; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,2,5)
Big Ten tournament
No. 2 Buckeyes Down Gophers, 7-0
No. 2 Buckeyes Post 7-0 Win over Badgers