Ohio State Advances to Semifinals of B1G Tournament with 4-0 Win vs. Minnesota
First team All-Big Ten selection Kowase earned singles and doubles wins vs. Minnesota.
April 25, 2014
- B1G Tournament Central: http://go.osu.edu/B1Gtournament2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The third-seeded Ohio State women's tennis team (19-7, 8-3 B1G) defeated No. 6-seed Minnesota, 4-0, in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament Friday afternoon at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill. The Buckeyes, ranked No. 36 in the latest ITA poll and on an eight-match winning streak, earn a spot in the B1G semifinals for the first time since 2011 and will play tournament host and No. 2 seed Northwestern at 3 p.m. ET Saturday.
After splitting the first two doubles decisions, the 83rd-ranked duo of Ferny Angeles Paz and Miho Kowase posted its 15th straight win of the spring to claim the doubles point for the Buckeyes with an 8-3 win vs. Kendall Heitzner and Maja Vujic at No. 3. On court two, the Buckeye freshman tandem of Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus tabbed an 8-1 win against Aria Lambert and Paula Rincon-Otero to collect its 12th win in a row. The 64th-ranked doubles team of Noelle Malley and Grainne O'Neill fell to Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter, 8-3, on court one.
Ohio State captured the quarterfinal match with three straight-set singles victories vs. the Gophers. Niehaus clinched the Buckeye victory after topping Courter, 6-4, 6-2, on court three. The second team All-Big Ten honoree improves to 31-6 this season and has won her last seven matches.
Redshirt sophomore Nicole Flower notched the first win for the Buckeyes in singles play, downing Vujic, 6-2, 6-1, on court five. First team All-Big Ten selection Kowase extended her winning streak to nine matches as she defeated Mozia, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 2 singles. With the victory, Kowase improves to 25-9 in the season with 16 wins on court two.
B1G Freshman of the Year De Santis and Malley both split their first two sets vs. the Gophers, while Angeles Paz led Lambert, 6-2, 5-2, when play was suspended.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs Ohio State
Apr 25, 2014 at Evanston, Ill.
(Vandy Christie Tennis Center)
#36 Ohio State 4, #65 Minnesota 0
1. #81 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) vs. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-2, 5-7, unfinished
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-1, 6-3
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) vs. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
5. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Maja Vujic (MINN) 6-2, 6-1
6. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) vs. Paula Rincon-Otero (MINN) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0, unfinished
1. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. #64 Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-3
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon-Otero (MINN) 8-1
3. #83 Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Kendall Heitzner/Maja Vujic (MINN) 8-3
Minnesota 17-9; National ranking #65
Ohio State 19-7; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,3)
Women's Big Ten Tournament quarterfinal round
Ohio State - #3 seed, Minnesota - #6 seed
Buckeyes Set to Open NCAA Tournament
Buckeyes Earn All-B1G Honors