No. 34 Ohio State Notches 4-0 Victory vs. Nebraska in Regular Season Finale
Ferny Angeles Paz
April 21, 2014
- B1G Tournament Central: http://go.osu.edu/B1Gtournament2014
- B1G Release: http://go.osu.edu/WTENB1G2014
- B1G Bracket: http://go.osu.edu/WTENB1GBracket2014
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The 34th-ranked Ohio State women's tennis team notched a 4-0 victory vs. Nebraska in its regular season finale in Lincoln, Neb., to clinch third place in the Big Ten standings and close the spring campaign on a seven-match winning streak. The Buckeyes improve to 18-7 overall with an 8-3 ledger in conference competition, marking the first season since 1999-2000 the squad has earned eight or more wins in B1G play and the highest B1G finish since 2011.
With the win, Ohio State clinches the No. 3 seed in the B1G Tournament hosted by Northwestern Thursday-Sunday in Evanston, Ill. The Buckeyes will take on the winner of Thursday's match between 6-seeded Minnesota vs. 11-seeded Wisconsin at 2 p.m. CT Friday at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center.
Ohio State secured the victory vs. Nebraska behind a pair of doubles win and three singles victories. The 82nd-ranked duo of freshmen Miho Kowase and Ferny Angeles Paz finished the dual season with a perfect 14-0 record after dominating Nebraska's Hannah Sulz and Lisa Andersson, 8-1. Freshmen Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus paired up to defeat Izabella Ngierska and Maike Zeppernick in a tiebreaker on court two, 8-7 (7-2), to extend their winning streak to 11. Both tandems were 7-0 in Big Ten play this spring. The 78th-ranked tandem of Noelle Malley and Grainne O'Neill led 7-5 on court one vs. Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna before play was suspended.
Angeles Paz handed the Cornhuskers their first loss in singles play, defeating Zeppernick in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, on court four. Kowase collected her 15th win of the dual season at No. 2 singles, downing Zgierska, 6-3, 6-1, on court two to extend her winning streak to eight. Niehaus sealed the team victory for the Buckeyes on court three as she topped Hanna, 7-5, 6-2, to secure the squad's ninth shutout of the season. Niehaus has a team-high 20 dual-match wins and 30 singles wins overall this year and finished B1G play with a 9-2 ledger. De Santis, Malley and O'Neill did not complete play in their singles matches on courts one, five and six, respectively.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Nebraska
Apr 20, 2014 at Lincoln, Neb.
(NU Vine Street Courts)
#34 Ohio State 4, Nebraska 0
1. Maggy Lehmicke (WTNEB14) vs. #92 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) 6-4, 4-5, unfinished
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Izabella Zgierska (WTNEB14) 6-3, 6-1
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Mary Hanna (WTNEB14) 7-5, 6-2
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Maike Zeppernick (WTNEB14) 6-3, 6-1
5. Lisa Andersson (WTNEB14) vs. Noelle Malley (OSU) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
6. Hannah Sulz (WTNEB14) vs. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 4-6, 1-3, unfinished
1. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (WTNEB14) vs. #78 Noelle Malley/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 5-7, unfinished
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Izabella Zgierska/Maike Zeppernick (WTNEB14) 8-7 (7-2)
3. #82 Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Hannah Sulz/Lisa Andersson (WTNEB14) 8-1
Ohio State 18-7, 8-3 B1G; National ranking #34
Nebraska 8-16, 0-11 B1G
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,2,3)