April 19, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team (10-12, 3-7 B1G) dropped a 5-2 decision to Michigan State (11-14, 1-9 B1G) Friday in East Lansing, Mich. The Spartans earned their first conference win in Big Ten play this season, while seniors Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele tallied singles victories in straight sets in the match.
Ohio State will return to Columbus, Ohio, to take on No.6-ranked Michigan (17-4, 8-1 B1G) at the OSU Varsity Outdoor Courts at 11 a.m. Sunday. Seniors Kara Cecil, Manashirova and Steele will be recognized prior to the match as part of Senior Day celebrations.
The Spartans gained a 1-0 advantage after claiming the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Grainne O’Neill and Kelsey Becker’s three match win streak as a pair was snapped by Emily Meyers and Julianne Gruber, 8-6. Nicole Herzog and Michaela Silesova clinched the point with an 8-4 victory over the senior tandem of Manashirova and Steele, 8-4. Kelsey Dieters and Kara Cecil did not finish their doubles match against Marna Bohrer and Catherine Parenteau.
At the No. 2 position in singles play, Manashirova posted her fifth-consecutive conference win against Olga Chernova, 6-4, 6-4. The Elk Grove, Calif., native has collected a team-high eight conference wins this season and a team-high 15 wins in dual matches. On court four, Steele triumphed over Herzog, 6-3, 7-5, to earn her sixth win in Big Ten contests this season. Steele and Manashirova are fourth and fifth, respectively, in all-time career singles wins in Ohio State history.
The Spartans posted four wins in singles competition to edge the Buckeyes. At the No. 1 position, Bohrer defeated No. 62-ranked Dieters, 6-2, 6-2. Cecil fell to Parenteau, 7-5, 7-5, while Nicole Flower was topped by Gruber, 6-3, 6-4, on court six. After dropping the first set, freshman O’Neill dropped the second set tiebreaker, 7-2, against Meyers.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs. Michigan State
April 19, 2013 at Michigan State
Michigan State 5, #62 Ohio State 2
1. Marina Bohrer/Catherine Parenteau (MSU) DNF Kelsey Dieters/Kara Cecil (OSU) 5-6
2. Nicole Herzog/Michaela Silesova (MSU) def. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) 8-4
3. Emily Meyers/Julianne Gruber (MSU) def. Grâinne O'Neill/Kelsey Becker (OSU) 8-6
1. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. #62 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 7-5, 7-5
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Emily Meyers (MSU) def. Grainne O’Neill (OSU) 6-3, 7-6 (2)
6. Julianne Gruber (MSU) def. Nicole Flower (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
Trio Signs with Buckeyes
Buckeyes Announce Spring Slate