No. 34 Ohio State Defeats Iowa, 6-1
April 18, 2014
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 34 Ohio State women’s tennis team won its sixth-straight match Friday afternoon, taking down Iowa, 6-1, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex in Iowa City, Iowa. With the win, the Buckeyes improve to 17-7 overall with a 7-3 record in B1G play.
The Scarlet and Gray continued their dominance of the doubles point, collecting wins on courts one and three to gain a 1-0 advantage vs. the Hawkeyes. At No. 1 doubles, the 78th-ranked Buckeye tandem of senior Noelle Malley and sophomore Grainne O’Neill topped Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch, 8-6. The freshman duo of Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus notched its 10th-straight win in doubles competition, defeating Annette Dohanics and Aimee Tarun, 8-1, on court three. Freshmen Ferny Angeles Paz and Miho Kowase led Shelby Talcott and Katie Zordani, 5-4, before play was suspended.
The Buckeyes won five of six singles matches to earn the victory vs. the Hawkeyes. Kowase earned the first singles win of the afternoon for the Buckeyes taking down Talcott, 6-0, 6-3 on court two for her team-high 17th win of the dual season. O’Neill then topped Ellie Silver, 6-1, 6-1 on court six. Niehaus extended her current singles win streak to five as she claimed the team victory for the Buckeyes with a 7-5, 6-4, victory vs. McCulloch on court three.
Angeles Paz earned a straight-set win vs. Zordani, 6-2, 6-3 on court four to add to the Buckeye lead, 5-0. Redshirt sophomore Nicole Flower fell to Dohanics, 7-6, 6-4 at No. 5.
No. 92-ranked De Santis topped her fourth ranked opponent of the season, defeating No. 75 Seaborne in three sets, 6-1, 0-6, 6-2. De Santis has tallied a team-high nine wins in conference competition.
Up next, the Buckeyes will wrap up regular season play in Lincoln, Neb., vs. Nebraska at noon ET Sunday. The squad will kick off postseason play at the B1G Tournament either Thursday or Friday in Evanston, Ill. Draws will be released Sunday.
No. 34 Ohio State 6, Iowa 1
1. #92 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. #75 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 6-1, 0-6, 6-2
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 6-0, 6-3
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 7-5, 6-4
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Nicole Flower (OSU) 7-6, 6-4
6. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA) 6-1, 6-1
1. #78 Noelle Malley/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 8-6
2. Shelby Talcott/Katie Zordani (IOWA) vs. #82 Ferny Angeles Paz/Miho Kowase (OSU) 4-5, unfinished
3. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Annette Dohanics/Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,6,3,4,5,1)