No. 49 Ohio State Shuts Out No. 41 Indiana, 7-0
April 11, 2014
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The 49th-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team captured its 11th-straight win at the Varsity Tennis Center Friday afternoon, shutting out No. 41 Indiana, 7-0. With the win, the Buckeyes improve to 15-7 overall with five wins in conference play, including four wins vs. ranked opponents.
The Buckeyes clinched the doubles point with a sweep of doubles competition, including a pair of tiebreaker victories. Sandy Niehaus and Gabriella De Santis extended their win streak to eight-straight matches with an 8-7 (7-4) win vs. Sophie Garre and Shannon Murdy on court two. At No. 1 doubles, sophomore Grainne O’Neill and senior Noelle Malley tabbed an 8-4 win vs. Carolyn Chupa and Katie Klyczek to secure the doubles point for the Buckeyes. After trailing early in the set, the No.75th-ranked duo of Ferny Angeles Paz and Miho Kowase battled back to top Kayla Fujimoto and Alecia Kauss and move to 12-0 this spring.
O’Neill notched the first victory for the Buckeyes in singles competition, downing Gabriella Rubenstein, 6-0, 6-0, on court six, to earn her 20th win of the season. Niehaus followed with a 6-3, 6-3 win vs. Chupa, while Ferny Angeles Paz secured the team victory vs. the Hoosiers with a tiebreaker win in the second set, 9-7.
Ahead 4-1 in the third set, Flower added another point for Ohio State as Shannon Murdy retired to put the Buckeyes ahead 5-0 in the match. At No. 1 singles, No. 83-ranked Gabriella De Santis posted her seventh-consecutive win with a straight-set victory, 7-6, 6-4, vs. Klyczek. Kowase wrapped up play for the Buckeyes, rallying back to defeat Sophie Garre, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3, to earn the squad’s ninth shutout victory of the spring.
Tennis Match Results
Indiana vs Ohio State
Apr 11, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#49 Ohio State 7, #41 Indiana 0
1. #83 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Katie Klyczek (IU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Sophie Garre (IU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Carolyn Chupa (IU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Alecia Kauss (IU) 6-2, 7-6 (9-7)
5. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Shannon Murdy (IU) 6-3, 3-6, 4-1, retired
6. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Gabrielle Rubenstein (IU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Carolyn Chupa/Katie Klyczek (IU) 8-4
2. Sandy Niehaus/Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Sophie Garre/Shannon Murdy (IU) 8-7 (7-4)
3. #75 Ferny Angeles Paz/Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Kayla Fujimoto/Alecia Kauss (IU) 8-7 (7-2)
Indiana 16-7, 4-4 B1G; National ranking #41
Ohio State 15-7, 5-3 B1G; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,3,4,5,1,2)
No. 2 Ohio State Tops No. 10 Baylor, 4-0
Di Lorenzo Receives B1G Accolades
No. 4 Buckeyes Shut Out Penn State, 7-0