Nicole Flower earned a victory in straight sets.
April 7, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 52-ranked Ohio State women's tennis team earned a Big Ten win Sunday in Minneapolis, Minn., defeating Minnesota, 5-2. The Buckeyes improve to 10-9 and 3-4 in the Big Ten after claiming the doubles point and a quartet of singles victories against the Gophers (9-10, 3-4 B1G).
The Buckeyes took the doubles decision with wins on courts one and three. Senior Kara Cecil and sophomore Kelsey Dieters notched their 11th win as a pair this season with a victory over Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero, 8-4, on court one. Junior Kelsey Becker and freshman Grainne O'Neill clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 decision over Tereza Brichacova and Jessika Mozia. The senior duo of Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele did not finish their match against Doran Muravnik and Alexa Palen on court two.
Redshirt freshman Nicole Flower added to the Buckeye lead with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Muravnik at No. 6 singles to give Ohio State a 2-0 advantage over the Gophers. No. 54-ranked Dieters dropped her match at the No. 1 position, falling to Pintusava, 6-1, 6-0. On court two, Brichacova then defeated Cecil, 6-3, 6-3, to knot the score at 2-2.
The Buckeyes responded with three straight singles victories on courts three, four and five to claim the victory. O'Neill posted a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Mozia at No. 6, while Manashirova sealed the deal for the Buckeyes with a 6-4, 6-4 win against Lambert on court four. Playing at the No. 3 position, Steele rallied back after dropping the second set to defeat Rincon Otero, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. Steele, who has won her last four matches, has a team-best 22 singles wins this year, with Manashirova second with 21.
Up next, the Buckeyes return to Columbus for matchups with Illinois Friday and Northwestern Sunday. The squad will play in its last road match of the season at Michigan State April 19 and then celebrate Senior Day with the home finale April 21 vs. Michigan in Columbus, Ohio.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Minnesota
Apr 07, 2013 at Minneapolis, Minn.
(Baseline Tennis Center)
#52 Ohio State 5, Minnesota 2
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. #54 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
4. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
5. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
6. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Doron Muravnik (MINN) 6-1, 6-1
1. Kara Cecil/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Natallia Pintusava/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-4
2. Doron Muravnik/Alexa Palen (MINN) vs. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) 4-6, unfinished
3. Kelsey Becker/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-4
Ohio State 10-9, 3-4 B1G; National ranking #52
Minnesota 9-10, 3-4 B1G
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,1,2,5,4,3)
Trio Signs with Buckeyes
Buckeyes Announce Spring Slate