Ohio State Stays Unbeaten at Home with 7-0 Win over Wright State
The Buckeyes won their three matches this weekend by a combined 20-1 score.
April 6, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 53-ranked Ohio State women's tennis team completed a weekend sweep of three home matches, shutting out Wright State, 7-0, Sunday evening inside the Varsity Tennis Center. Ohio State, which blanked Minnesota 7-0 Friday and downed Wisconsin 6-1 earlier Sunday, is now 14-7 this season (4-3 B1G). Ohio State is a perfect 10-0 at home this year and the whitewash of the Raiders was the team's eighth shutout of 2014.
Ohio State swept doubles action. On court one, the No. 69-ranked tandem of Grainne O'Neill and Noelle Malley won 8-1 against Vanessa Madrigal and tori Turner and at No. 2, Sandy Niehaus and Nicole Flower won by the same score over Linsey Verstrepen and Chelsea Girgash. On court three, Kelsey Becker and Gabriella De Santis defeated Aby Madrigal and Megan Brdicka, 8-2.
The Buckeyes did not drop a set in singles. Flower won the first match off the court, topping A. Madrigal, 6-1, 6-1, on court four, followed quickly by O'Neill, who beat v. Madrigal, 6-3, 6-1, on court three. Malley clinched the Ohio State victory with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Brdicka on court five. De Santis was the next to finish, topping Verstrepen, 6-1, 6-4, and Becker posted a 6-2, 6-1 win over Girgash on court six. Kowase completed the shutout with a 6-1, 6-1 win against Turner on the second court.
Up next, the Buckeyes will close their home schedule with two home Big Ten matches. The squad hosts Indiana at 1 p.m. Friday and Purdue at noon Sunday on Senior Day. Both matches are scheduled to be played outdoors on the Varsity Tennis Courts.
Tennis Match Results
Wright State vs Ohio State
Apr 06, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
Ohio State 7, Wright State 0
1. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Linsey Verstrepen (WSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Tori Turner (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Vanessa Madrigal (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Aby Madrigal (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Megan Brdicka (WSU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Kelsey Becker (OSU) def. Chelsea Girgash (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
1. #69 Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Vanessa Madrigal/Tori Turner (WSU) 8-1
2. Sandy Niehaus/Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Linsey Verstrepen/Chelsea Girgash (WSU) 8-1
3. Kelsey Becker/Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Aby Madrigal/Megan Brdicka (WSU) 8-2
Wright State 8-15, 2-4 Horizon
Ohio State 14-7, 4-3 B1G
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,3,5,1,6,2)
Trio Signs with Buckeyes
Buckeyes Announce Spring Slate