Ohio State Prevails over Wisconsin, 6-1
Gabriella DeSantis has won five matches in a row.
April 6, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 53-ranked Ohio State women's tennis team defeated Big Ten foe Wisconsin, 6-1, Sunday afternoon inside the Varsity Tennis Center. Ohio State moves to 13-7 this season and is 4-3 in B1G play. The Buckeyes won two of three doubles matches and five singles matches en route to the victory over the Badgers (7-8, 2-5 B1G).
Ohio State closes the doubleheader with a 6 p.m. match vs. Wright State in the Varsity Tennis Center.
Against the Badgers, Ohio State claimed the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. The No. 79-ranked tandem of freshmen Miho Kowase and Ferny Angeles Paz cruised to an 8-1 win at No. 3 against Sydney Rider and Becca Bailey, extending their winning streak to 11, and at No. 2, freshmen Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus posted an 8-2 victory over Anastasia Tripolskay and Nova Patel, their seventh win in a row. The Badgers won on court one, 8-4, against the No. 69-ranked duo of senior Noelle Malley and sophomore Grainne O'Neill.
Niehaus put Ohio State up 2-0 with a win over Tripolskay on court three, dropping just one game (6-0, 6-1). On court two, Kowase won 6-2, 6-0 against Burich to give Ohio State a 3-0 lead. O'Neill sealed Ohio State's win, downing Rider, 6-2, 6-1, on court five. Flower followed with a 6-4, 6-1 win on court six vs. Bailey.
Wisconsin picked up a win on court four. Angeles Paz fought back to tie the match with Patel after losing the first set, but the Badger prevailed in a super tiebreaker, 10-4. On court one, DeSantis won a close match with Chypyha. The Buckeye claimed the first set, 7-5, and the second went to a tiebreaker. Chypyha won the first three points in the tiebreaker but DeSantis rallied to tie the score at 3-all en route to a 7-5 win in the tiebreaker, notching her 20th win of the season and fifth in a row.
Tennis Match Results
Wisconsin vs Ohio State
Apr 06, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#53 Ohio State 6, Wisconsin 1
1. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Lauren Burich (WIS) 6-2, 6-0
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Anastasia Tripolskay (WIS) 6-0, 6-1
4. Nova Patel (WIS) def. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) 6-2, 4-6, 10-4
5. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Sydney Rider (WIS) 6-2, 6-1
6. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Becca Bailey (WIS) 6-4, 6-1
1. Lauren Chypyha/Lauren Burich (WIS) def. #69 Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-4
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Anastasia Tripolskay/Nova Patel (WIS) 8-2
3. #79 Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Sydney Rider/Becca Bailey (WIS) 8-1
Wisconsin 7-8, 2-5 B1G
Ohio State 13-7, 4-3 B1G; National ranking #53
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (,2,3,5,6,4,1)
Buckeyes Set to Open NCAA Tournament
Buckeyes Earn All-B1G Honors