April 5, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 52-ranked Ohio State women's tennis team fell, 5-2, to Big Ten foe Wisconsin (4-13, 2-4 Big Ten) in Madison, Wis., Friday afternoon. Ohio State moves to 9-9 overall (2-4 Big Ten). Seniors Gabby Steele and Fidan Manashirova both posted wins in singles and doubles for the Buckeyes.
Wisconsin jumped to an early lead after securing the doubles point with victories on courts one and two. After being down 5-0 on court one, Buckeyes Kara Cecil and Noelle Malley responded with three straight victories to bring the score to 5-3 against Hannah Berner and Lauren Chypyha. The Badgers then outlasted the Buckeye tandem, 8-4. Wisconsin's Anastasia Tripolskaya and Katie Hoch controlled the pairing of Kelsey Dieters and Grainne O'Neill, 8-2, on court two.
Steele and Manashirova notched their third-consecutive doubles victory together with an 8-1 win over Lauren Burich and Helen Rabot on court three. The duo is 9-8 this season.
Steele collected her third singles victory in a row in Big Ten play with a straight set win over Hoch, 6-4, 6-0. The Cincinnati, Ohio, native has earned a team-best 21 victories, including five singles wins in Big Ten play, and improves to 8-1 on court four this season. On court three, Manashirova rallied after dropping the first set to defeat Tripolskaya in three sets, 1-6, 6-1, 7-5, to close out the match.
Chypyha added the second point for Wisconsin with a victory in straight sets over Cecil, 6-4, 6-3, on court two. Berner snapped No. 54-ranked Dieter's three-match win streak after claiming a second-set tiebreaker, 6-2, 7-6 (6), to give the Badgers a 3-1 advantage over the Buckeyes. Lauren Burich secured the victory for Wisconsin with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 victory over O'Neill at No. 5. Nicole Flower fell to Helen Rabot, 6-4, 7-5, on court six.
Up next, Ohio State will face Minnesota Sunday at 11 a.m. CT in Minneapolis.
Wisconsin 5, Ohio State 1
April 5, 2013 at Madison, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Center)
1. Hannah Berner/Lauren Chypyha (WISC) def. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (Ohio State), 8-4
2. Anastasia Tripolskaya/Katie Hoch (WISC) def. Kelsey Dieters/Grainne O'Neill (Ohio State), 8-2
3. Gabby Steele/Fidan Manashirova (Ohio State) def. Lauren Burich/Helen Rabot (WISC), 8-1
1. Hannah Berner (WISC) def. #54 Kelsey Dieters (Ohio State), 6-2, 7-6 (6)
2. Lauren Chypyha (WISC) def. Kara Cecil (Ohio State), 6-4, 6-3
3. Fidan Manashirova (Ohio State) def. Anastasia Tripolskaya (WISC), 1-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. Gabby Steele (Ohio State) def. Katie Hoch (WISC), 6-4, 6-0
5. Lauren Burich (WISC) def. Grainne O'Neill (Ohio State), 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
6. Helen Rabot (WISC) def. Nicole Flower (Ohio State), 6-4, 7-5
Ohio State (9-9, 2-4 B1G), National Ranking #52
Wisconsin (4-13, 2-4 B1G)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,4,1,5,6,3)
Buckeyes in Action at ITA Midwest Regional
Buckeyes Set for ITA Midwest Regional
Buckeyes Open Play at ITA All-Americans