Buckeyes Cruise to 7-0 Victory vs. Gophers
April 4, 2014
- Box score: http://go.osu.edu/040414_box_minn
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 53-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team extended its home win streak to eight-consecutive matches with a 7-0 victory vs. No. 55 Minnesota at the Varsity Tennis Center. With the win, the Buckeyes improve to 12-7 overall and 3-3 in B1G competitions.
Ohio State captured the first two doubles matches to gain a 1-0 advantage vs. Minnesota. The Buckeye duo of Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus collected the first doubles win for the Buckeyes, defeating Kendall Heitzner and Yuliana Umanets, 8-3, on court two. The No.79-ranked tandem of Miho Kowase and Ferny Angeles Paz clinched the doubles point and their tenth straight win this spring with an 8-3 win on court three. No.69-ranked Noelle Malley and Grainne O’Neill led Natalia Pintusava and Julia Courter 7-5 when play was suspended at No.1 doubles.
Niehaus notched the first win for the Buckeyes in singles play with a 6-4, 6-1 victory vs. Jessika Mozia on court three. O’Neill tallied a 6-0, 6-3 victory vs. Maja Vujic on court six, while Kowase sealed the team victory with a 6-0, 6-1 win vs. Pintusava on court two.
At No.1 singles, De Santis dominated Tereza Brichacova, 6-2, 6-0. With the win, the B1G Athlete of the Week improves to 5-1 in B1G play.
Angeles Paz finished next on court four, capturing a 6-3, 6-3 victory vs. Courter to earn her 20th win of the season. After splitting the first two sets, Nicole Flower prevailed in a super tiebreaker thriller, 10-8, vs. Aria Lambert to secure Ohio State’s seventh shutout of the season.
Up next, the Buckeyes will host a doubleheader Sunday as they take on Wisconsin at noon followed by Wright State at 6 p.m. at the Varsity Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs Ohio State
Apr 04, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#53 Ohio State 7, #55 Minnesota 0
1. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-2, 6-0
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-0, 6-1
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 6-3, 6-3
5. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Maja Vujic (MINN) 6-0, 6-3
1. #69 Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) vs. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) 7-5, unfinished
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-3
3. #79 Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Kendall Heitzner/Yuliana Umanets (MINN) 8-3
Minnesota 14-5, 4-2 B1G; National ranking #55
Ohio State 12-7, 3-3 B1G; National ranking #53
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,6,2,1,4,5)
No. 5 Buckeyes Set for B1G Tourney