Gabby Steele has a team-best 20 singles wins this season.
March 31, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team posted a 6-1 victory over Iowa Sunday inside the Varsity Tennis Center. The No. 57-ranked Buckeyes (9-8, 2-3 Big Ten) won two of three doubles matches and five singles matches vs. the No. 69-ranked Hawkeyes (8-8, 1-4 Big Ten).
Ohio State will play two conference road games next weekend, traveling to Wisconsin Friday and Minnesota Sunday. The team will then return to Columbus for matchups with Illinois April 12 and Northwestern April 14. The regular season ends with a home-and-home weekend, as the Buckeyes play at Michigan State April 19 and then celebrate Senior Day with the home finale April 21 vs. Michigan.
Iowa’s 34th-ranked tandem of Ruth Seaborne and Shelby Talcott won 8-2 at No. 1 doubles over the Buckeye tandem of junior Noelle Malley and senior Kara Cecil. On court 3, Ohio State’s senior tandem of Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele won the last five games en route to an 8-3 victory over Annette Dohanics and Caitlin Hindmarsh. On court 2, the Buckeye pair of freshman Grainne O’Neill and sophomore Kelsey Dieters clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 victory over Shelby Talcott and Katie Zorandi.
Steele dropped just one game in each set to Harazin on court four to give the Buckeyes a 2-0 lead, marking her team-best 20th singles victory of the season. On court two, Talcott topped Manashirova, 6-3, 6-2, to put the Hawkeyes on the board. No. 54-ranked Dieters then won against Seaborne, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 1 for a 3-1 Buckeye advantage. On court five, O’Neill clinched the Buckeye victory as she downed Zordani, 6-2, 7-5. Cecil came back after dropping the first set, 7-5, to tie the match with a 6-3 second-set victory and then prevailed in a super tiebreaker, 10-6. Redshirt freshman Nicole Flower closed out the match with a 7-6 (7), 6-3 win on court six.
Tennis Match Results
Iowa vs Ohio State
Mar 31, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Indoor Tennis Center)
#57 Ohio State 6, #69 Iowa 1
1. #54 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 6-3, 6-4
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Kara Cecil (OSU) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA) 6-1, 6-1
5. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-2, 7-5
6. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) 7-6 (7), 6-3
1. #34 Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-2
2. Grainne O'Neill/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Shelby Talcott/Katie Zordani (IOWA) 8-4
3. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Annette Dohanics/Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) 8-3
Iowa 8-8, 1-4 Big Ten; National ranking #69
Ohio State 9-8, 2-3 Big Ten; National ranking #57
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,2,1,5,3,6)
Di Lorenzo Receives B1G Accolades
No. 4 Buckeyes Shut Out Penn State, 7-0