No. 51 Ohio State Downs Michigan State, 5-2
March 23, 2014
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 51-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team captured a 5-2 victory vs. Big Ten opponent Michigan State Sunday afternoon in Columbus, Ohio. With the win, the Buckeyes have clinched eight of their last nine matches and hold a 7-0 record at the Varsity Tennis Center this spring.
The Scarlet and Gray earned the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. The Spartans notched the first win in doubles play, topping Kelsey Becker and Sandy Niehaus, 8-4. The Buckeye tandem of Miho Kowase and Gabriella De Santis responded right away, defeating Julianne Gruber and Emily Meyers, 8-2, to knot the score at 1-all. Malley and O’Neill battled to fight off a late Spartan run to secure the doubles point for Ohio State with an 8-5 win vs. Marina Bohrer and Erin Faulkner on court one.
Niehaus extended her win streak to 14-consecutive singles matches with a 6-2, 6-3 win vs. Catherine Parenteau, 6-2, 6-3, on court three. The Cincinnati, Ohio, native has not dropped a match since Jan. 18 vs. Baylor and is 3-0 in B1G outings this spring.
Erin Faulkner added a point for the Spartans, defeating Kowase, 6-3, 6-3 on court two, while Noelle Malley posted a 6-3, 6-0 win vs. Olga Chernova to give the Buckeyes a 3-1 advantage vs. the Spartans. At No. 1 singles, De Santis secured the team victory for the Buckeyes with a 7-5, 6-4 win against Bohrer.
After dropping the first set, O’Neill swept the second set to force a third vs. Trouillot. The Blessington, Ireland, product, however, fell 6-3 in the third set to add another point for the Spartans. On court four, Flower triumphed in a thrilling super tiebreaker, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 1-0 (10), to close out the match.
Up next, the Buckeyes will go back on the road to face Northwestern Saturday in Evanston, Ill., before taking on Illinois Sunday in Champaign, Ill. Ohio State will return to Columbus, Ohio, for a five-match home stand starting April 4 vs. Minnesota.
Tennis Match Results
Michigan State vs Ohio State
Mar 23, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#51 Ohio State 5, Michigan State 2
1. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Marina Bohrer (MSU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Miho Kowase (OSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 1-0 (12-10)
5. Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 7-5, 0-6, 6-3
1. Noelle Malley/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Marina Bohrer/Erin Faulkner (MSU) 8-5
2. Miho Kowase/Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Julianne Gruber/Emily Meyers (MSU) 8-2
3. Catherine Parenteau/Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Kelsey Becker/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) 8-4
Michigan State 13-4, 1-2 B1G
Ohio State 11-5, 2-1 B1G; National ranking #51
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,2,5,1,6,4)
No. 2 Buckeyes Down Gophers, 7-0
No. 2 Buckeyes Post 7-0 Win over Badgers