Manashirova notched a singles victory in straight sets.
March 22, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The No. 53-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (8-7, 1-2 Big Ten) began its weekend of Big Ten competition Friday against No. 21-ranked Purdue (10-1 Big Ten) in West Lafayette, Ind. The Boilermakers claimed the doubles decision and four singles matches in straight sets to prevail over the Buckeyes, 5-2.
With close decisions on all courts in doubles play, the Boilermakers tallied victories on courts one and two to claim the doubles point. The Buckeye tandem of Noelle Malley and Kara Cecil wrapped up doubles competition on court three with a 9-7 win over Lynda Xepoleas and Daniela Vidal, 9-7. At the No. 1 doubles position, the No. 38-ranked Boilermaker duo of Mara Schmidt and Krisztina Kapitany defeated Grainne O’Neill and Kelsey Dieters, 8-6. Imogen Golder and Gisella Pere prevailed over seniors Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele, 8-6.
The Boilermakers jumped ahead to a 3-0 lead with wins on courts six and three in singles play. Pere did not drop a set vs. Malley on court six, while Vidal notched a 6-0, 6-2 decision against Cecil on court three.
No. 53-ranked Dieters added the first point for the Buckeyes with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Lynda Xepoleas at the No. 1 singles position.
Golder captured the Boilermaker victory with a 7-5, 6-0 win against O’Neill on court five. Boilermaker Tess Bernard-Feigenb triumphed over Steele, 6-1, 6-2.
Manashirova topped Mara Schmidt, 7-5, 6-1, to claim her 19th singles victory of the season.
The Buckeyes will head to Bloomington, Ind., to take on Indiana at 11 a.m. Saturday.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Purdue
Mar 22, 2013 at West Lafayette, Ind. (Basham Courts - Schwartz Tennis Center)
#21 Purdue 5, #53 Ohio State 2
1. #53 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR-W) 6-3, 6-3
2. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Mara Schmidt (PUR-W) 7-5, 6-1
3. Daniela Vidal (PUR-W) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Tess Bernard-Feigenb (PUR-W) def. Gabby Steele (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Imogen Golder (PUR-W) def. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Gisella Pere (PUR-W) def. Noelle Malley (OSU) 6-0, 6-0
1. #38 Mara Schmidt/Krisztina Kapitany (PUR-W) def. Grainne O'Neill/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 8-6
2. Noelle Malley/Kara Cecil (OSU) def. Lynda Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (PUR-W) 9-7
3. Imogen Golder/Gisella Pere (PUR-W) def. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) 8-6
Ohio State 8-7, 1-2; National ranking #53
Purdue 10-1, 2-0 B1G; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,1,5,4,2) T-2:58
No. 5 Buckeyes Set for B1G Tourney