Gabby Steele collected a singles victory in straight sets.
March 17, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – In the matchup for third place between the No. 1 and 2 tournament seeds, the No. 40th-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (8-6, 1-1 Big Ten) finished fourth at the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic Sunday in Montgomery, Ala. The Buckeyes dropped a 4-1 decision to No. 34th-ranked Yale (10-2, 0-0 Ivy).
No. 47-ranked Virginia repeated as tournament champions, defeating No. 50-ranked Tulane, 4-0 earlier in the afternoon.
Ohio State saw a similar result in the 2011 edition of the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic, dropping the third place match against Oklahoma, 4-0.
The Buckeyes dropped their second doubles point this tournament with losses on courts one and two. Yale’s Elizabeth Epstein and Annie Sullivan defeated Kara Cecil and Noelle Malley, 8-2. Grainne O’Neill and Gabby Steele dropped their second doubles match as a duo this season against Madeleine Hamilton and Amber Li, 8-6. Court three featured Fidan Manashirova and Kelsey Dieters against Hannah Yu and Courtney Amos but did not finish.
The Bulldogs continued their momentum in singles play. No. 99-ranked Epstein handed Manashirova her first loss in six contests, 6-3, 6-1, while Sullivan defeated Cecil in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. Steele erased Yale’s hopes for a shutout with a win in straight sets on court four to bring the score to 3-1. After gaining an advantage in the first set, Grainne O’Neill dropped the next two sets against Amber Li to clinch a Yale victory. Courts one and six did not complete play.
Up next, the Buckeyes will compete in their first Big Ten road matches of the season at Purdue March 22, followed by Indiana March 24. The Buckeyes will return to Columbus, Ohio and the Varsity Indoor Center March 31 to take on Iowa at 11 a.m.
Blue Gray National Tennis Classic
Ohio State vs. Yale
Mar 17 2013 at Montgomery, Ala.
#34 Yale 4, #40 Ohio State 1
- Elizabeth Epstein/Annie Sullivan (YALE) def. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU), 8-2
- Madeleine Hamilton/Amber Li (YALE) def. Grainne O’Neill/Gabby Steele (OSU), 8-6
- Hanna Yu/Courtney Amos (YALE) vs. Fidan Manashirova/Kelsey Dieters (OSU), DNF
- Madeleine Hamilton (YALE) vs. No. 53 Kelsey Dieters (OSU), DNF
- No. 99 Elizabeth Epstein (YALE) def. Fidan Manashirova (OSU), 6-3, 6-1
- Annie Sullivan (YALE) def. Kara Cecil (OSU), 6-1, 6-2
- Gabby Steele (YALE) def. Hannah Yu (OSU), 6-2, 6-2
- Amber Li (YALE) def. Grainne O’Neill (OSU), 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
- Courtney Amos (YALE) vs. Noelle Malley (OSU), DNF
Buckeyes in Action at ITA Midwest Regional
Buckeyes Set for ITA Midwest Regional
Buckeyes Open Play at ITA All-Americans