Grainne O'Neill claimed her ninth singles win of the season today.
March 16, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 40th-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (8-5, 1-1 Big Ten) fell to No. 50-ranked Tulane (9-5, 3-1 C-USA) in the semifinals of the 2013 edition of the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala., Saturday afternoon, 4-2.
Ohio State, the No. 2 seed, will compete for third place in the tournament against No. 34-ranked and No. 1 seed Yale, while Tulane advances to face No. 47-ranked Virginia in the championship match Sunday. Draws and live scoring can be found on the tournament website: http://www.bluegraytennis.com. Times are to be announced.
The Green Wave jumped to a 1-0 lead after securing wins on courts one and three in the doubles competition. Freshman Grainne O’Neill and senior Gabby Steele notched their first victory of the tournament as doubles partners with an 8-4 win over Tulane’s Caroline Thornton and Caroline Magnusson on court two. The Buckeye duo of Kara Cecil and Noelle Malley dropped their match against Klara Vyskocilova and Ipek Birol, 8-4, at No. 1. In the battle for the doubles point on court three, Emma Levy and Hila Elster prevailed over the Buckeye tandem of senior Fidan Manashirova and sophomore Kelsey Dieters, 9-7.
In singles play, the matchup of two ranked players on court one finished first. No. 92-ranked Vyskocilova of Tulane defeated No. 53-ranked Dieters in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. Dieters holds a 3-5 record against ranked opponents this season. Levy claimed another straight-set singles win for the Green Wave with a 6-3, 6-1 decision over Kara Cecil on court three.
O’Neill notched the first point for the Buckeyes on court five with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Caroline Thorton. Manashirova’s victory over Jenny Hois brought the score to a 3-2 Tulane advantage over the Buckeyes with matches still up for grabs on courts four and six. With the win, Manashirova leads all Ohio State players with 18 total victories this season and six consecutive singles wins.
Magnusson sealed the deal for the Green Wave with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Nicole Flower on court six. Steele and Birol did not finish on court four.
Blue Gray National Tennis Classic
Tulane vs. Ohio State
Mar 16 2013 at Montgomery, Ala.
#50 Tulane 4, #40 Ohio State 2
- Klara Vyskocilova/Ipek Birol (TU) def. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU), 8-4
- Grainne O’Neill/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Caroline Thornton/Caroline Magnusson (TU), 8-4
- Emma Levy/Hila Elster (TU) def. Fidan Manashirova/Kelsey Dieters (OSU), 9-7
- No. 92 Klara Vyskocilova (TU) def. No. 53 Kelsey Dieters (OSU), 6-0, 6-1
- Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Jenny Hois (TU), 6-1, 6-2
- Emma Levy (TU) def. Kara Cecil (OSU), 6-3, 6-1
- Ipek Birol (TU) vs. Gabby Steele (OSU), DNF (6-1, 5-2)
- Grainne O’Neill (OSU) def. Caroline Thornton (TU), 6-2, 6-2
- Caroline Magnusson (TU) def. Nicole Flower (OSU), 6-2, 6-3
Buckeyes Set to Open NCAA Tournament