Freshman Grainne O'Neill clinched the Buckeyes' win over Boise State.
March 15, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 40th-ranked Ohio State women's tennis team earned a 4-0 sweep of Boise State to open the 2013 Blue Gray National Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala., Friday night. The Buckeyes improved to 8-4 on the year (1-1 Big Ten) with the win.
Ohio State captured the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Senior Fidan Manashirova and sophomore Kelsey Dieters defeated Megan LaLone and Teal Vosburgh, 8-4, for the first victory of the day. The Broncos responded on court two when Sandy Vo and Morgan Basil defeated freshman Grainne O'Neill and senior Gabby Steele, 8-6. The Buckeyes earned the doubles point after senior Kara Cecil and junior Noelle Malley topped Boise State's Marlena Pietzuch and Manuela Pietzuch, 9-7, on court one.
In singles play, Dieters picked up her 15th win of the season after earning a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Marlena Pietzuch at No. 1. Manashirova put Ohio State ahead 3-0 with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Vo at No. 2, while O'Neill sealed the match with a 7-6, 6-1 win against LaLone at No. 5 singles. Matches were suspended for Cecil, Steele and redshirt freshman Nicole Flower after Ohio State captured the fourth team point.
The Buckeyes return to the court Saturday to face No. 50 Tulane in a noon ET semifinal match. Live scoring can be found on the tournament website: http://www.bluegraytennis.com/.
Blue Gray National Tennis Classic
Boise State vs. Ohio State
Mar 15 2013 at Montgomery, Ala.
#40 Ohio State 4, Boise State 0
1. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Marlena Pietzuch/Manuela Pietzuch (BSU), 9-7
2. Sandy Vo/Morgan Basil (BSU) def. Grainne O'Neill/Gabby Steele (OSU), 8-6
3. Fidan Manashirova/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Megan LaLone/Teal Vosburgh (BSU), 8-4
1. Dieters (OSU) def. Mar. Pietzuch (BSU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Manashirova (OSU) def. Vo (BSU), 7-5, 6-5
3. Vosburgh (BSU) vs. Cecil (OSU), DNF (6-2, 2-6, 4-0)
4. Basil (BSU) vs. Steele (OSU), DNF (4-6, 3-4)
5. O'Neill (OSU) def. LaLone (BSU), 7-6, 6-1
6. Sammie Watson (BSU) vs. Nicole Flower (OSU), DNF (6-1, 3-6, 4-2)
No. 2 Ohio State Tops No. 10 Baylor, 4-0
Di Lorenzo Receives B1G Accolades
No. 4 Buckeyes Shut Out Penn State, 7-0