Ohio State Blanks Marquette, 7-0
March 14, 2014
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Behind a sweep of doubles and singles competition, the No. 56-ranked Ohio State women's tennis team (10-4, 1-0 B1G) secured its seventh consecutive win of the season, shutting out Marquette on a neutral court, 7-0, in Las Vegas, Nev. The win marks the Buckeyes' sixth shutout of the spring campaign.
Up next, the Buckeyes will go on the road to face Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mich., March 21 before returning to the Varsity Tennis Center to take on Michigan State at noon March 23.
Ohio State notched wins on all courts in doubles competition to secure the doubles point. On court one, the freshman duo of Miho Kowase and Ferny Angeles Paz posted its eighth-consecutive win, downing Ali Dawson and Laia Hernandez, 8-5. Senior Kelsey Becker and freshman Sandy Niehaus earned an 8-3 victory vs. Erin Gebes and Rocio Diaz at No. 2 doubles, while Grainne O'Neill and Nicole Flower defeated Ana Pimineta and Aleeza Kanner, 8-3, on court three.
Freshman Sandy Niehaus continued to dominate in singles competition, downing L. Hernandez in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1, to earn her 12th straight victory of the spring. No. 116-ranked Gabriella De Santis tallied a 6-2, 6-3 win vs. Dawson on court two, while Angeles Paz topped Gebes, 6-1, 6-1, on court four. At the No. 5 position, Flower posted a 6-4, 6-4 victory vs. Foltinger and O'Neill defeated A. Hernandez on court six, 6-1,6-4.
After dropping her first set in singles competition to Pimienta on court one, Kowase battled back to win the second set and force a super tiebreaker to keep the Buckeye shutout hopes alive. She captured the victory, 12-10.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Marquette
March 14, 2014 at Las Vegas, Nev.
(Fertitta Tennis Complex)
#56 Ohio State 7, Marquette 0
1. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Ana Pimienta (MARQ), 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (12-10)
2. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Ali Dawson (MARQ), 6-2, 6-3
3. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Erin Gebes (MARQ), 6-1, 6-1
4. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Laia Hernandez (MARQ), 6-2, 6-1
5. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Vanessa Foltinger (MARQ), 6-4, 6-4
6. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Aina Hernandez (MARQ), 6-1, 6-4
1. Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Ali Dawson/Laia Hernandez (MARQ), 8-5
2. Sandy Niehaus/Kelsey Becker (OSU) def. Erin Gebes/Rocio Diaz (MARQ), 8-3
3. Grainne O'Neill/Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Ana Pimienta/Aleeza Kanner (MARQ), 8-3
Buckeyes Top No. 15 Illini, 4-3