Ohio State Downs UNLV, 6-1
March 12, 2014
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 56-ranked Ohio State women's tennis team (9-4, 1-0 B1G) notched a 6-1 victory vs. UNLV Wednesday afternoon in Las Vegas, Nev. Claiming the doubles point and five singles matches in straight sets en route to victory, the Buckeyes extended their winning streak to six matches this spring.
Up next, the Buckeyes will remain in Las Vegas take on Marquette Friday at 10 a.m. PT on a neutral court at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
Ohio State collected the doubles point with victories on courts two and three. The freshman tandem of Ferny Angeles Paz and Miho Kowase topped their seventh straight opponent, defeating Iren Kotseva and Aleksandra Josifoska, 8-7, on court three while freshmen Sandy Niehaus and Gabriella De Santis captured their fifth consecutive match vs. UNLV's Anett Ferenczi-Bako and Kamelia Dimitrova, 8-1. The Buckeye duo of senior Noelle Malley and sophomore Grainne O'Neill fell to Santa Shumilina and Lucia Batta, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles.
In singles competition, the Buckeyes earned five victories in straight sets to earn the team victory. Niehaus pushed her winning streak to 11 singles matches in a row this spring, defeating Shumilina, 6-3, 6-1, on court three. Kowase notched a 6-1, 6-2 victory vs. Josifoska at the No. 2 position, while Angeles Paz posted a 6-3, 6-2, win vs. Kotseva on court four.
On court five, redshirt sophomore Nicole Flower tallied a 6-2, 6-4 victory vs. Dimitrova, while O'Neill downed Artiga, 7-5, 6-0, on court six. No. 116-ranked Gabriella De Santis retired during the first set vs. No. 51 ranked Lucia Batta at No. 1 singles.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs UNLV
March 12, 2014 at Las Vegas, Nev.
(Fertitta Tennis Complex)
#56 Ohio State 6, UNLV 1
1. #51 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. #116 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) 4-1, retired
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) 6-1, 6-2
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Santa Shumilina (UNLV) 6-3, 6-1
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) 6-3, 6-2
5. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Kamelia Dimitrova (UNLV) 6-2, 6-4
6. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Paola Artiga (UNLV) 7-5, 6-0
1. Santa Shumilina/Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Noelle Malley/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 8-4
2. Sandy Niehaus/Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako/Kamelia Dimitrova (UNLV) 8-1
3. Ferny Angeles Paz/Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Iren Kotseva/Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) 8-7
Buckeyes Top No. 15 Illini, 4-3