Buckeyes Top Tigers, 6-1
March 8, 2014
- Box score: http://go.osu.edu/030814_box_princeton
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 59-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (8-4, 1-0 B1G) earned their fifth-straight win of the spring campaign Saturday, defeating No. 75 Princeton, 6-1. The win moves the Buckeyes to a 6-0 record at the Varsity Tennis Center and marks the second victory over a ranked opponent in the spring slate.
The Scarlet and Gray clinched the doubles point vs. the Tigers with wins on courts two and three. The Buckeye duo of Noelle Malley and Grainne O’Neill finished first, dropping an 8-5 decision to Joan Cannon and Lindsay Graff. Sandy Niehaus and Gabriella De Santis responded with an 8-5 win of their own to knot the doubles score at 1-all. The freshman tandem of Ferny Angeles Paz and Miho Kowase held off a late Princeton run to secure the doubles point for the Buckeyes, 8-5, and claim their sixth-straight victory in doubles play.
In singles competition, O’Neill notched the first win for the Buckeyes with a 6-0, 6-2 victory vs. Cannon on court six. At the No. 4 position, Niehaus extended her singles win streak to ten-consecutive matches, defeating Dorothy Tang, 6-2, 6-1. The Cincinnati, Ohio, native has not dropped a singles match since Jan. 18 vs. Baylor.
At the No. 3 position, Angeles Paz topped Hahn in straight sets, 6-0, 6-4, to clinch the team victory for Ohio State. De Santis notched a 6-0, 6-4, vs. Graff victory on court one. Kowase retired on court two to add a point for the Tigers, while redshirt sophomore Nicole Flower closed out the match with a 6-2, 6-4, win on court five.
Up next, Ohio State will head to Las Vegas, Nev., to compete against UNLV March 12 and Marquette March 14.
Tennis Match Results
Princeton vs Ohio State
Mar 08, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#59 Ohio State 6, #75 Princeton 1
1. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Graff, Lindsay (PRIN) 6-0, 6-4
2. Muliawan, Amanda (PRIN) def. Miho Kowase (OSU) 4-6, 4-3, retired
3. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Hahn, Emily (PRIN) 6-0, 6-4
4. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Tang, Dorothy (PRIN) 6-2, 6-1
5. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Joyce, Caroline (PRIN) 6-2, 6-4
6. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Cannon, Joan (PRIN) 6-0, 6-2
1. Graff, Lindsay/Cannon, Joan (PRIN) def. Noelle Malley/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 8-5
2. Sandy Niehaus/Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Muliawan, Amanda/Hahn, Emily (PRIN) 8-5
3. Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Tang, Dorothy/Joyce, Caroline (PRIN) 8-5
Princeton 8-4, 0-0 Ivy; National ranking #75
Ohio State 8-4, 1-0 B1G; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,4,3,2,1,5)
Buckeyes Tennis Notebook
No. 22 Buckeyes Down Kentucky, 4-1