Gabby Steele clinched the Buckeyes' win vs. the Penguins.
March 3, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 55-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team shut out Youngstown State, 7-0, Sunday evening for its second win of the day after a 5-2 win over No. 35-ranked Penn State in the first match of the doubleheader. The squad is now 6-4 on the year (1-1 Big Ten) and has four shutouts. Ohio State did not drop a set in its win over the Penguins.
Against Youngstown State, Ohio State won the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. The duo of senior Gabby Steele and junior Kesley Becker shut out the Penguin tandem of Margarita Sadovnikova and Marta Burak, 8-0, on court three before freshman Grainne O’Neill and sophomore Kelsey Dieters clinched the doubles point for the Buckeyes with an 8-3 victory on court two against Paula de Man and Lauren Hankle. The match on court one between Buckeye senior Kara Cecil and redshirt freshman Nicole Flower and YSU’s Margarita Sadovnikova and Marta Burak was suspended, with Youngstown State leading, after Ohio State earned the doubles point.
O’Neill put Ohio State ahead 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Jesko at No. 4, followed by Tiffany Dittmer’s 6-1, 6-1 win over Cimena Puppo on court six. Steele was a 6-1, 7-5 winner against Burak to clinch the team victory. Ohio State’s ranked players then posted wins, as No. 46 Dieters topped de Man, 6-4, 6-2, on court one and No. 122 Manashirova beat Sadovnikova on court two, 6-2, 6-3. Flower wrapped up the match with a 6-4, 6-1 victory on court five.
Steele now leads the team with 17 singles wins and eight dual-match victories, followed by Manashirova and Dieters, who both have seven dual-match wins, with 16 and 14, respectively. The doubles tandem of Cecil and Dieters leads the team with 10 victories as a duo, while Dieters has a team-best 14 doubles wins, followed by Steele with 13. Up next, Ohio State will compete at the Blue-Gray Tournament in Montgomery, Ala., March 15-17. The Buckeyes will be joined by Pepperdine, Virginia, Boise State, Marshall, Michigan State, SMU and Yale in the event. For more information on the tournament, visit www.bluegraytennis.com.
Youngstown State vs Ohio State
Mar 03, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#55 Ohio State 7, Youngstown State 0
1. #46 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Paula deMan (YSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #122 Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Margarita Sadovnikov (YSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Marta Burak (YSU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Carolyn Jesko (YSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Annina Brendel (YSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Tiffany Dittmer (OSU) def. Cimena Puppo (YSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Kara Cecil/Nicole Flower (OSU) vs. Margarita Sadovnikov/Marta Burak (YSU) 4-7, unfinished
2. Grainne O'Neill/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Paula de Man/Lauren Hankle (YSU) 8-3
3. Gabby Steele/Kelsey Becker (OSU) def. Carolyn Jesko/Tijana Raicevic (YSU) 8-0
Youngstown State 6-3 (0-0 Horizon)
Ohio State 7-4 (1-1 Big Ten); National ranking #55
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,6,2,1,3,5)