Ohio State Shuts Out Penn State in B1G Opener, 7-0
Feb. 25, 2014
- Box score: http://go.osu.edu/022514_box_PSU
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 52 Ohio State women’s tennis team earned its first Big Ten Conference win of 2014 Tuesday, shutting out Penn State, 7-0, in University Park, Pa. With the win, the Buckeyes improve to 1-0 in conference play and collect their fourth shutout of the spring season.
The Buckeyes, who move to 5-0 when winning the doubles point in the spring slate, claimed a 1-0 lead with a pair of 8-1 wins on courts two and three. Freshmen Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus defeated Carmen Sandor and Katia Blik at No. 2 doubles, while rookies Miho Kowase and Ferny Angeles Paz topped Katherine Whiteaway and Taylor Shukow on court three. Court one did not complete play.
Ohio State earned victories in all six singles matches to secure the shutout vs. the Nittany Lions. Redshirt sophomore Nicole Flower posted a 6-2, 6-0 win vs. Shukow on court six to add the first point for the Buckeyes. At the No. 5 position, sophomore Grainne O’Neill notched a 6-4, 6-4 victory vs. Whiteaway in straight sets.
Angeles Paz secured the team victory for the Buckeyes for the second-consecutive match, tallying a 6-3, 6-4, win vs. Marie Bedard on court four.
Kowase extended her wining streak to six-consecutive matches, holding off Dasha Sapogova, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3, at the No. 2 position to give the Buckeyes a 5-0 advantage vs. Penn State. At the No. 1 position, De Santis rallied to defeat Blik in a super tiebreaker, 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7).
Niehaus completed the shutout with a 6-4, 7-6 (7-3) win against Sandor on court three. With the win, the Cincinnati, Ohio, native improved her winning streak to eight consecutive singles matches this spring.
Up next, the Buckeyes will return to action with a doubleheader March 5 in Columbus. The team will host Northern Kentucky at noon and Cincinnati at 6 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Penn State University
Feb 25, 2014 at University Park, Pa.
(Penn State Indoor Tennis Center)
#52 Ohio State 7, Penn State University 0
1. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Katia Blik (PSU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Dasha Sapogova (PSU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Carmen Sandor (PSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Marie Bedard (PSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Katherine Whiteaway (PSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Taylor Shukow (PSU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Marie Bedard/Dasha Sapogova (PSU) 6-3
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Carmen Sandor/Katia Blik (PSU) 8-1
3. Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Katherine Whiteaway/Taylor Shukow (PSU) 8-1
Ohio State 5-4, 1-0 Big Ten; National ranking #52
Penn State University 3-7, 0-1 Big Ten
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,5,4,2,1,3)
Buckeyes Set to Open NCAA Tournament
Buckeyes Earn All-B1G Honors