Kelsey Dieters clinched the Buckeyes' win vs. the Razorbucks.
Feb. 22, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women's tennis team opened the weekend Friday evening in Fayetteville, Ark., with a 4-3 victory against No. 44-ranked Arkansas (4-5, 0-0 SEC). The No. 61-ranked Buckeyes improve to 5-3 overall and are 1-2 against SEC opponents.
The Buckeyes return to the Billingsley Tennis Center at 2 p.m. CT/3 p.m. ET Saturday to wrap up their weekend trip in Arkansas against No. 33-ranked Tulsa (6-3, 1-0 C-USA) in a neutral-site match.
The Buckeye duo of sophomore Kelsey Dieters and senior Kara Cecil finished its match first, dominating Claudine Paulson and Segou Jonker, 8-1. The Razorback pair of Yang Pang and Brittany Huxley edged junior Noelle Malley and freshman Grainne O'Neill, 8-6, on court two. Down early in the match, Arkansas' Kimberley-Ann Surin and Sarah McLean rallied to defeat the senior tandem of Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele, 9-8 (3), and clinch the doubles point for the Razorbacks.
No. 93-ranked Manashirova notched the first point for the Buckeyes with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Surin on court four. Cecil finished second, falling to Paulson in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Steele balanced the score at 2-2 after defeating McLean, 6-3, 6-3, on court three. After dropping the tiebreaker in the first set, Malley lost to Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez, 7-6 (4), 6-3.
At the No. 1 position, No. 53-ranked Dieters rallied in the second set to force a third against Arkansas' Pang and keep the Buckeyes in contention. Meanwhile, O'Neill claimed her sixth victory this season with a win over Huxley in three sets, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, to even the score at 3-3. In the final set on court one, Dieters maintained her momentum to defeat Yang, 6-2, and seal the Buckeye victory.
Ohio State vs. Arkansas
Feb 22, 2013 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(Billingsley Tennis Center)
No. 61 Ohio State 4, No. 44 Arkansas 3
1. Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. Yang Pang (ARK) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Sarah McLean (ARK) 6-3, 6-3
4. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Kimberley - Ann Surin (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
5. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Brittany Huxley (ARK) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) def. Noelle Malley (OSU) 7-6 (4), 6-3
1. Kelsey Dieters / Kara Cecil def. Claudine Paulson / Segou Jonker (ARK) 8-1
2. Kimberley - Ann Surin / Sarah McLean (ARK) def. Fidan Manahirova def. Gabby Steele (OSU) 9-8 (3)
3. Yang Pang / Brittany Huxley (ARK) def. Noelle Malley / Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 8-6
No. 4 Buckeyes Shut Out Penn State, 7-0