Kelsey Dieters posted her third win over a ranked player this season.
Feb. 17, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No.55-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (4-3, 0-1 Big Ten) dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 25 Tennessee (2-4, 0-0 SEC) Sunday in Knoxville, Tenn. This marks Ohio State’s second loss to an SEC team this season and the 13th straight win for the Volunteers on their home courts.
In thrilling fashion, No. 52-ranked Kelsey Dieters defeated Tennessee’s No. 18-ranked Brynn Boren in a super tiebreaker, 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (12-10) to earn the lone point for the Buckeyes on court one. It was her second victory over Boren and third victory over a ranked opponent this season.
The Volunteers claimed the doubles point, 2-1. Buckeye senior Kara Cecil and junior Noelle Malley faced off against the No. 3-ranked Tennessee tandem of Boren and Kata Szekely, falling, 8-2. On court two, senior Gabby Steele and freshman Grainne O’Neill defeated Tennessee’s Joanna Henderson and Caitlyn Williams, 8-5. The Buckeye duo of Dieters and senior Fidan Manashirova dropped its decision to Sara Toti and Mimi Fotopoulos, 8-2.
Tennessee posted victories on the first five matches off the court to earn the team victory. After dropping her first set against Henderson, No. 93-ranked Manashirova rallied to force a second-set tiebreaker, but was defeated, 6-4, 7-6 (10-8). On court two, Cecil dropped her match against No. 34-ranked Kata Szekely, 6-3, 6-2. O’Neill was downed by Fotopoulos, 6-3, 6-0.
Malley and Steele ended their streak of nine-consecutive wins with a loss in straight sets to Caitlyn Williams and Tiffany Tavares, respectively.
The Buckeyes will continue their season on the road with back-to-back matches in Fayetteville, Ark., vs. Arkansas Friday and Tulsa Saturday.
Ohio State vs Tennessee
Feb 17, 2013 at Knoxville, Tenn.
(Goodfriend Tennis Center)
#25 Tennessee 6, #55 Ohio State 1
1. #52 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. #18 Brynn Boren (UT) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (12-10)
2. #34 Kata Szekely (UT) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Caitlyn Williams (UT) def. Gabby Steele (OSU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Joanna Henderson (UT) def. #93 Fidan Manashirova (OSU) 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
5. Mimi Fotopoulos (UT) def. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Tiffany Tavares (UT) def. Noelle Malley (OSU) 7-5, 6-2
1. #3 Brynn Boren/Kata Szekely (UT) def. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-2
2. Gabby Steele/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Joanna Henderson/Caitlyn Williams (UT) 8-5
3. Sarah Toti/Mimi Fotopoulos (UT) def. Fidan Manashirova/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 8-2
Ohio State 4-3; National ranking #55
Tennessee 2-4; National ranking #25
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,5,3,4,1)
Buckeyes Set to Open NCAA Tournament