Noelle Malley has won her last nine singles matches.
Feb. 12, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – In a match featuring four singles matches that went to a third set, the No. 55-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (4-2, 0-1 Big Ten) lost to Kentucky (4-2, 0-0 SEC), 4-3, Tuesday night inside the Ohio State University Varsity Tennis Center. Ohio State won the doubles point but Kentucky won the first four singles matches off the court, with two in three sets, to claim the team victory.
Ohio State returns to action Sunday with a noon match at No. 25 Tennessee in Knoxville, Tenn.
Ohio State claimed the doubles points with wins on courts 2 and 3. The duo of senior Gabby Steele and freshman Grainne O’Neill posted the first win, defeating Stephanie Fox and Kirsten Lewis, 8-2. At the second position, the tandem of sophomore Kelsey Dieters and senior Fidan Manashirova defeated Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff and CeCe Witte, 8-5. Court one went to a tiebreaker, with the Wildcat duo of Nadia Ravita and Caitlin McGraw prevailing over senior Kara Cecil and junior Noelle Malley, 8-7 (3).
The Wildcats posted straight-set wins at the top two positions for a 2-1 team lead. In a matchup of ranked players, No. 67 Ravita from Kentucky topped No. 53-ranked Dieters, 6-2, 6-0, on court one. At the second position Stiles was a 6-2, 6-1 winner vs. Cecil.
The remaining four matches went to a third set. On court 5 Buckeye O’Neill won the first set vs. McGraw in a tiebreaker but dropped the last two sets (6-4, 6-2) to close out the match and put the Wildcats up 3-1. Morin- Kougoucheff clinched the team victory for Kentucky on court three. Manashirova won the first set but the Wildcat rallied for a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory.
On court four, Steele rallied after losing the first set to defeat Lewis, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. On court six, Malley won the first set vs. Fox in a tiebreaker before the Wildcat cruised in set two to force a third set. Malley prevailed, 6-4, for the Buckeyes’ third point. Steele and Malley both extended their singles winning streaks to nine after their victories vs. Kentucky.
Tennis Match Results
Kentucky vs Ohio State
Feb 12, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio (Varsity Tennis Center)
Kentucky 4, #55 Ohio State 3
1. #67 Nadia Ravita (UK) def. #53 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. E Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) def. #93 Fidan Manashirova (OSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Kirsten Lewis (UK) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Caitlin McGraw (UK) def. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-2
6. Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Stephanie Fox (UK) 7-6 (8-6), 1-6, 6-4
1. Nadia Ravita/Caitlin McGraw (UK) def. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Kelsey Dieters/Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. E Morin-Kougoucheff/CeCe Witten (UK) 8-5
3. Gabby Steele/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Stephanie Fox/Kirsten Lewis (UK) 8-2
Kentucky 4-2 (0-0 SEC)
Ohio State 4-2 (0-1 Big Ten); National ranking #55
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,5,3,4,6) T-4:02 A-91
Di Lorenzo in Action at US Open