COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 22-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team topped Kentucky, 4-1, Thursday in the Varsity Tennis Center, improving to 2-1 on the year.
The Buckeyes will wrap up the week with a match vs. Notre Dame at noon Sunday in the VTC. Admission is free.
The Buckeyes claimed the doubles point for the third time in three matches to take a 1-0 lead vs. Kentucky. Senior Anna Sanford and redshirt sophomore Danielle Wolf then put the Buckeyes up 3-0 with singles victories. The Wildcats won the next match for a 3-1 contest. The final three remaining matches all were in a third set. Buckeye freshman Mary Beth Hurley clinched the Buckeye win, as she won the third set on court four, 6-1, breaking for the victory. “This is a good win. Kentucky is a good, well coached team who plays in a tough conference,” Melissa Schaub, Ohio State head coach, said. “We are playing very well in doubles right now. We’ve been working hard on it and it’s nice to see it moving along. It helps to get that 1-0 lead.”
— Ohio State W Tennis (@OhioState_WTEN) February 2, 2018
In doubles, the tandem of Wolf and freshman Emma DeCoste prevailed 6-2 over Brianna Tulloch and Diana Tkachenko on court three. The duo of Sanford and freshman Shiori Fukuda clinched the point with a 6-1 win over Justina Mikulskyte and Lesedi Jacobs on court one. Kentucky led the match on court two when play was halted.
Ohio State went up 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-1 win by Sanford over Mikulskyte at No. 1. Wolf followed with a 6-2, 6-2 win vs. Tulloch on court six for a 3-0 Ohio State advantage.
Kentucky got on the board when Tkachenko defeated DeCoste on court five, 6-4, 6-3.
The final three matches were all in a third set. On court four Hurley, who won the first set 6-2 but lost the second 6-1, was able to pull away in the third, 6-1. She won back-to-back no-ad points for 3-1 and 4-1 leads and then held for 5-1 and broke for the set and match victory. The win was the first dual match victory for the freshman.
On court three vs. Adachi, senior Olivia Sneed had rallied from a set down and led 5-3 when play was called. Fukuda, who came back to win the first set in a tiebreak, was down a break in the third set on court two vs. Fanning.
Kentucky vs Ohio State
Feb 01, 2018 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#22 Ohio State 4, Kentucky 1
1. Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Justina Mikulskyte (UK) 6-3, 6-1
2. #80 Shiori Fukuda (OSU) vs. Emily Fanning (UK) 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 0-2, unfinished
3. Olivia Sneed (OSU) vs. Mami Adachi (UK) 4-6, 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
4. Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) def. Lesedi Jacobs (UK) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
5. Diana Tkachenko (UK) def. Emma DeCoste (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Danielle Wolf (OSU) def. Brianna Tuloch (UK) 6-2, 6-2
1. Anna Sanford/Shiori Fukuda (OSU) def. Mami Adachi/Emily Fanning (UK) 6-1
2. Mary Beth Hurley/Olivia Sneed (OSU) vs. Justina Mikulskyte/Lesedi Jacobs (UK) 2-4, unfinished
3. Danielle Wolf/Emma DeCoste (OSU) def. Brianna Tuloch/Diana Tkachenko (UK) 6-2
Ohio State 2-1; National ranking #22
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,6,5,4)
Buckeyes Tennis Notebook
No. 22 Buckeyes Down Kentucky, 4-1