COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 14 Ohio State women's tennis team (1-1) bid to qualify for the ITA National Championship fell short on Saturday as it dropped a tough 4-2 decision to Wake Forest.
“First of all congrats to Wake Forest. They played a very tough match,” said Ohio State head coach Melissa Schaub. “We fought hard today. We have a lot to work on but we will get better. We have a lot of heart and a lot of fight that will take us a long way. We will get back to work...the season is long and we need to keep our heads up.”
The Buckeyes captured the doubles point with wins on courts one and three and was a game away from clinching on court two when play was suspended. Buckeye senior Anna Sanford and redshirt freshman Shiori Fukuda got the first win by breaking on a no-ad point and topping the No. 42 doubles pair of Eliza Omirou and Anna Ulyashchenko, 6-0. Seconds after that win, the duo of redshirt sophomore Danielle Wolf and freshman Emma DeCoste topped Mary Caroline Meredith and Joanna Zalewski, 6-2, to clinch the doubles point. On court two, senior Olivia Sneed and freshman Marybeth Hurley led Chandler Carter and Emma Davis, 5-2, when play was called.
In singles, No. 80 Shiori Fuduka captured the only Buckeye point as she won her match against No. 70 Eliza Omirou in straight sets 6-2, 7-5. The Demon Deacons got on the board as Ulyashchenko won over Hurley on court four, 6-1, 6-4. Buckeyes DeCoste and Sneed also lost to their Demon Deacons counterparts in straight sets, giving the visitors a 3-2 lead.
On court one, Sanford won the opening set 6-4 but Davis turned the tables in the second and won 6-0. The third set would go to a tiebreak which Davis was able to pull out 7-5 and clinch the victory. Wolf and Zalewski split the first two sets on court four and Wolf was leading 6-3 in the third set tiebreaker when the match was clinched.
Up next, the Buckeyes remain at home to host No. 21 Kentucky on Feb. 1 at 5 p.m.
1. Emma Davis (WF) def. Anna Sanford (OSU) 4-6, 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Shiori Fukuda (OSU) def. Eliza Omirou (WF) 6-2, 7-5
3. Chandler Carter (WF) def. Olivia Sneed (OSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
4. Anna Ulyashchenko (WF) def. Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Danielle Wolf (OSU) vs. Joanna Zalewski (WF) 2-6, 6-3, 6-6 (6-3) unfinished
6. M.C. Meredith (WF) def. Emma DeCoste (OSU) 6-4, 7-5
1. Anna Sanford/Shiori Fukuda (OSU) def. Eliza Omirou/Anna Ulyashchenko (WF) 6-0
2. Olivia Sneed/Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) vs. Chandler Carter/Emma Davis (WF) 5-2, unfinished
3. Danielle Wolf/Emma DeCoste (OSU) def. M.C. Meredith/Joanna Zalewski (WF) 6-2
Wake Forest 4-0
Ohio State 1-1; National ranking #14
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,6,2,3,1)
Buckeyes Set to Open NCAA Tournament
Buckeyes Earn All-B1G Honors