Buckeyes Fall to No. 9 Miami, 4-2
Freshman Ferny Angeles Paz
Jan. 24, 2014
- Box Score: http://go.osu.edu/box_miami
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis (1-2, 0-0 Big Ten) team fell to No. 9 Miami, 4-2, Friday in Coral Gables, Fla. Ohio State will continue action at ITA Kickoff Weekend against Louisiana State or South Florida Saturday at 10 a.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
Miami claimed the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. The Buckeye duo of Grainne O’Neill and Sandy Niehaus was topped by the No. 29-ranked Hurricane tandem of Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque, 6-4, while the Buckeye pair of Gabriella De Santis and Miho Kowase fell to Melissa Bolivar and Kelsey Laurente. Play was suspended on court three after the Hurricanes clinched the doubles point.
In singles competition, four of the six singles matches were determined by super tiebreakers. Buckeye freshmen Ferny Angeles Paz and Niehaus each collected singles victories in super tiebreakers. After dropping the first set, Niehaus rallied back to force a super tiebreaker vs. Riobueno, and won, 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (11-9), on court four. On court three, Paz notched a 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (10-5), victory over Lina Lilekite.
At the No. 1 position, De Santis was defeated by No. 32-ranked Stephanie Wagner in a super tiebreaker, 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4), while redshirt sophomore Nicole Flower dropped her match to Bolivar on court three in a super tie breaker as well, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7). Noelle Malley fell to Monique Albuquerque, 6-0, 6-0.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Miami
Jan 24, 2014 at Coral Gables, Fla.
(Neil Schiff Tennis Center)
Miami 4, Ohio State 2
1. Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) vs. Kelsey Laurente (UM) no result
3. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Lina Lileikite (UM) 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (10-5)
4. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Clementina Riobueno (UM) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Noelle Malley (OSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Nicole Flower (OSU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Clementina Riobueno/Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Grainne O'Neill/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) 6-4
2. Melissa Bolivar/Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. Gabriella De Santis/Miho Kowase (OSU) 6-4
3. Ferny Angeles Paz/Noelle Malley (OSU) vs. Stephanie Wagner/Brittany Dubins (UM) no result
Trio Signs with Buckeyes
Buckeyes Announce Spring Slate