Ohio State Splits Doubleheader vs. No. 19 Baylor and Prairie View A&M
Freshman Gabriella De Santis
- Box score: http://go.osu.edu/box_baylor
- Complete 2013-14 Schedule: http://go.osu.edu/wtenschedule2014
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 72 Ohio State women's tennis team split its doubleheader, 1-1, vs. No. 19 Baylor and Prairie View A&M Saturday in Waco, Texas. The Buckeyes dropped a 4-3 decision vs. the Lady Bears, while the Scarlet and Gray swept Prairie View A&M, 7-0, in their second match of the day.
Baylor jumped to a 1-0 lead after claiming the doubles point with two wins on courts two and three. Ohio State battled back in singles, highlighted by freshman Gabriella De Santis claiming her second career victory over a ranked opponent, defeating No. 38-ranked Kiah Generette, 4-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-4). In the fall, the Caracas, Venezuela, native knocked off No. 45 Joelle Kissell of North Carolina State Oct. 27 at the Tennessee Fall Invite.
On court five in singles competition vs. the Lady Bears, senior Noelle Malley topped Makenzie Craft in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, while Nicole Flower recorded a win vs. Alex Leatu on court six, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5). Miho Kowase and Ferny Angeles Paz fell on courts two and three, respectively. Baylor's Bair Shankle defeated freshman Sandy Niehaus, 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8), to secure the victory for Baylor.
Later in the afternoon, Ohio State swept Prairie View A&M, 7-0, collecting the doubles point and all singles matches in straight sets.
Up next, Ohio State will compete in the ITA Kickoff Weekend Jan. 24-25 in Coral Gables, Fla., facing off against Miami and LSU or South Florida.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Baylor
Jan 18, 2014 at Waco, Texas
(Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center)
#19 Baylor 4, #72 Ohio State 3
1. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. #38 Kiah Generette (BU) 4-6, 6-0, 10-4
2. Victoria Kisialeva (BU) def. Miho Kowase (OSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Jordaan Sanford (BU) def. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Blair Shankle (BU) def. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) 5-7, 6-4, 10-8
5. Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Makenzie Craft (BU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Alex Leatu (BU) 3-6, 5-4, 10-5
1. Sandy Niehaus/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) vs. #37 Victoria Kisialeva/Blair Shankle (BU) no result
2. Jordaan Sanford/Alex Clay (BU) def. Gabriella De Santis/Miho Kowase (OSU) 6-2
3. Alex Leatu/Kiah Generette (BU) def. Noelle Malley/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) 6-3
Ohio State 0-1; National ranking #72
Baylor 2-0; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,3,1,2,4,6)
No. 72 Ohio State vs. Prairie View A&M
January 18, 2014 at Waco, Texas
Ohio State, Prairie View A&M
No. 72 Ohio State 7, Prairie View A&M 0
- Sandy Niehaus/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) vs. Harrell/LeFridge (PVAM), did not finish
- Gabriella De Santis/Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Gwodog/Thomas (PVAM), 6-0
- Noelle Malley/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Bord/Gore, 6-0
- Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Brittany Harrell (PVAM), 6-1, 6-0
- Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Taylor LeFridge (PVAM), 6-3, 6-0
- Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Christine Ngo Gwodog (PVAM), 6-2, 6-1
- Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Sydney Thomas (PVAM), 6-2, 6-0
- Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Payton Gore (PVAM), 6-2, 6-1
- Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Donielle Richard (PVAM), 6-2, 6-1