Student-Athlete Spotlight - Katy Luchansky, Women's Swimming and Diving
Katy Luchansky is a member of the women’s swimming and diving team and native of Shelton, Conn. A freestyler, she was one of the top-ranked recruits in the state of Connecticut coming out of high school. This past summer, Luchansky participated in the “Bucks Go Pro” program and interned in the Office of Trademark and Licensing.
- What is the best time of year on campus? I like fall on campus best because everyone is just getting back to campus and is excited, and the football games are awesome to attend.
- What is your preferred mode of transportation to class? I prefer to walk
- Have you switched your major? If so, how many times and why and if not, how did you know your major was “the one”? I’ve switched my major once. I came in thinking that I would like to do Exercise Science, but I quickly realized that was not the right fit. I switched to Criminology with a minor in English because the courses for the majors really interested me and I want to attend law school.
- What has been your favorite or most interesting class at OSU? My Sociology of Terrorism class because of how interesting it was.
- If you had to give an incoming student advice, what would it be? Be open to trying new things.
- What social media do you prefer the most? Instagram
- Would you rather read the book or watch the movie? Watch the movie
- What song can you not help but sing-a-long to? Anything by Taylor Swift
- What was the last movie that you saw in theaters? Spy
- When is your favorite time of your sport’s season? I love championship season in late February until March.
- Which team do you most look forward to competing against? Michigan
- Do you have any pre-game/match superstitions or rituals? I have done the same stretch behind the blocks before my races since I was 10 years old.
- What is your favorite part about your sport? There are individual and team aspects to swimming, so it challenges everyone on many levels.
- What is your favorite athletic memory? My favorite memory was being a member of our 4x200 freestyle relay my sophomore year at Big Ten’s in 2014. It was the first night of the meet and we medaled and finished third, qualifying for NCAA’s, where we went on to finish 12th in the NCAA, earning honorable mention All-America honors.
- When you are not at practice, what could someone find you doing? I can usually be found binge watching Netflix or napping
- If you could play another sport other than yours, what would it be? Softball
- If you won the lottery, what would you do? I would plan vacations, mostly to tropical islands.
- What do you most look forward to doing during the summer? I look forward to summer activities, like going to the beach, BBQ’s and baseball games
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? If I could have a super power it would be invisibility.
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? The best piece of advice I’ve received is to just chase your dreams and stay true to yourself.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be? I would go back to the Buckeyes winning the National Championship in January, because I do not think that witnessing that will ever get old.
- Would you be the first O, H, I or last O in a picture? I would prefer to be the H, because that’s the letter I was in my first O-H-I-O picture
- What is your favorite part about being a Buckeye? I love everything about being a Buckeye. My favorite part would have to be being able to be a student-athlete here, because it is truly a special opportunity to get to be able to represent a school that you love and want to give back to.