Big Ten champion Ashley Vance returns to the pool with eight other Buckeyes at NCAAs
Buckeyes among the five-fastest in five events entering the conference championships
Buckeyes primed for their three road meet in as many weeks
Ohio State set to host highly competitive field at McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion
Buckeyes host Virginia Tech, Cleveland State and Denison this Friday
"I am confident that Justin has what it takes to lead our very successful diving program both in the classroom and in the diving well," Shelton said. "During the interview process, Justin articulated a vision that would focus on the overall development of the student-athlete. We are excited to have Justin join our coaching staff at Ohio State."
Sochor, who was head coach for Team USA at the 2013 World Championships in Barcelona, is no stranger to the remarkable Buckeye diving program.
The 2010 USA Diving Junior National Coach of the Year, Sochor transitioned from a three-year stint at the helm of the U.S. Elite Diving Academy to the program manager and head coach of the Ohio State Diving Club in 2010. Sochor, who was a volunteer assistant coach for the Buckeyes from 2007-10, worked closely with former 35-year Ohio State diving head coach Vince Panzano and considers his predecessor as his coaching mentor.
"Mike Peppe, Ron O'Brien and Vince Panzano. For more than 80 years, these three men have created the finest diving community for student-athletes to achieve their highest level of success personally, competitively and academically," Sochor said. "These coaches have inspired me to continue the tradition of excellence at this great university. I am truly honored and humbled to step forward as the fourth head diving coach of the Buckeyes."
Most recently, Sochor led the Ohio State Diving Club to back-to-back overall national titles at the 2013 USA Diving Junior National Championships Aug. 10 in Minneapolis, Minn. The OSU boys club also claimed a national championship.
In 2012, Sochor left his position with the club team to take full leadership as interim diving coach for the Scarlet and Gray during the Women's Big Ten Championships. With his guidance, the Buckeyes swept the diving events as former OSU diver Bianca Alvarez dominated the 1-meter and 3-meter springboard events with scores of 360.65 and 410.65, respectively, while current OSU diver Cheyenne Cousineau completed the sweep with a winning score of 326.10 on the 10-meter platform. In 2010, he also guided the Ohio State men's squad to its first Big Ten championship in 54 years.
Sochor has coached the Buckeyes to multiple NCAA All-American performances, including first and second place finishes at the 2008 NCAA National Championships on the women's 3-meter event when Chelsea Davis and Alvarez earned the Top 2 spots, respectively.
As a coach at the junior and national team levels, Sochor has collected 78 individual national medals, including 22 golds, 25 silvers and 21 bronzes. Below are some recent successes guided by Sochor:
- 2012 Puerto Rico Grand Prix - three bronze medals - men's 10-meter synchro, women's 10-meter and women's 10-meter synchro
- 2012 Junior World Championships - bronze medal, men's 10-meter
- 2011 Junior Pan American Games - bronze medal women's 10-meter
- 2010 Junior World Championship - bronze medal, women's 10-meter
Sochor has passion, dedication, innovation and knowledge of diving that is clear to all who meet him. He has been named head coach for many different national team competitions and is known for leading his divers to national and international success.
A former varsity diver and Cleveland State University graduate with a degree in psychology, Sochor founded American Flyers Diving, Inc. in 1996. He developed his club into one of the largest diving clubs in the Midwest, bringing nearly 100 new divers into the sport each year. As a Viking, Sochor was a four-time collegiate conference champion and was named the 1995 Athlete of the Year. From 1992-1997, Sochor was a professional high diver/entertainer at Sea World.
Sochor lives in Powell, Ohio with his wife, Katie, son, Mason and daughter, Sydney.
Diving National and International Successes since 2010:
- Named National Team USA Head Coach: 2013 World Championship Team - Barcelona, Spain
- Current USA Diving nominee for the 2013 United States Olympic Committee
- 2013 United States Olympic Committee Developmental Coach of the Year for Diving
- Named Team USA Head Coach: 2013 Puerto Rico Grand Prix
- Team USA Head Coach: 2013 Canada Grand Prix
- Team USA Head Coach: 2012 Junior World Championship Team - Adelaide, Australia
- Team USA Head Coach: 2012 International Invite - Dresden, Germany
- 2012 USA Olympic Team Trials -Team Champions Combined Men & Women
- 2012 USA Senior National - Team Champions - Women
- Two-time USA Diving Developmental Coach of the Year (2010 and 2012)
- 2012 Junior Nationals - Team Champions - Combined Men & Women
- 2012 and 2013 East Nationals - Team Champions - Combined Men & Women
- 2011 Junior Pam American Games Coach - Medellin, Columbia
- 2011 Junior Nationals - Team Champions - Women
- 2011 East Nationals - Team Champions - Combined Men & Women
- 2010 Junior World Championship Coach - Tucson, Arizona
- 2010 Junior Nationals - Team Champions - Combined Men & Women
- 2010 East Nationals - Team Champions - Combined Men & Women
OSU Invite – Day One
Ohio State Invitational Begins on Friday
VIDEO: Home Meet vs. Denison/Akron
Buckeyes Defeat Akron and Denison