Senior Megan Coletta
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State softball recently handed out its team awards for the 2012-13 campaign. Sophomore pitcher Alex DiDomenico claimed three postseason awards after being named the team’s Most Valuable Player, Pitcher of the Year and Most Improved Player. Junior Leesa Gresham also earned Most Improved Player as well as Slugger of the Year, while junior Taylor Watkins was named Offensive Player of the Year. Junior Evelyn Carrillo and sophomore Caitlin Conrad were both named Gold Glove winners, while freshman Cammi Prantl was named Rookie of the Year. Senior Megan Coletta claimed the Scarlet & Gray award, while senior Alyson Mott earned the Buckeye Pride Award. Junior Melissa Rennie was the Scholar Athlete of the Year for the Buckeyes.
A LOOK BACK AT 2012-2013
- Sept. 29-30 – Ohio State hosted the 12th-annual Ohio Collegiate Charity Classic, raising more than $11,000 for the Stefanie Spielman Breast Cancer Research Fund. The event has raised more than $170,000 since 2001.
- Feb. 9-10 – Ohio State concluded a great opening weekend being named the 2013 Red and Black Showcase Champions, posting a 4-1 record in Athens, Ga. The team upset No. 8 Georgia, 5-4, in extra innings Saturday night to mark the first win against the Bulldogs in program history.
- Feb. 16 – Ohio State upset No. 16/17 Louisville, 1-0 in game two at JU Tournament in Jacksonville, Fla. DiDomenico threw a complete-game shutout, limiting the Cardinals to four hits in eight innings of work. Gresham knocked in the gamewinning run, scoring Coletta on an RBI single to left field.
- Feb. 18 - DiDomenico was named Big Ten Pitcher of the Week for the first time in her career after posting a spotless earned run average last, pitching 15 innings in three appearances at the Jacksonville Tournament where she held opponents to a .130 average.
- Feb. 23 – The Buckeyes picked up their third win over a Top 20 opponent after downing No. 14 Arizona, 6-0, in game two at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic in Palm Springs, Calif. Offensively, Gresham went 2-for-3 with a double and a run scored, while Prantl was 1-for-3 with a double and two RBI. Watkins also homered vs. Arizona. DiDomenico improved to 4-0, throwing seven innings, allowing no runs on four hits with six strikeouts.
- March 9 – Ohio State swept day one at the Miken Invitational in College Park, Md., after claiming a 10-9 walk off win vs. Maryland in game one before defeating Radford, 5-2, in game two. Gresham posted the gamewinning hit with an RBI single in game one, while sophomore pitcher Olivia O’Reilly notched a career-high 15 strikeouts in game two to defeat the Highlanders.
- March 18 – Prantl was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the first time in her career after hitting .560 (14-for-25) with one double, eight runs scored and five RBI, helping Ohio State to a 6-1 record during the team’s spring break trip.
- March 22-23 – Ohio State won its first conference series of the season, claiming two wins vs. Indiana in Columbus. Watkins batted a team-best .500 with two doubles, a home run and five RBI vs. the Hoosiers, while Gresham went 6-for-13 at the plate with a pair of doubles and a home run.
- March 31 - Highlighted by back-to-back home runs in the tenth inning, the Ohio State softball team claimed the final win of a three-game series vs. Purdue, defeating the Boilermakers, 5-3, at Buckeye Field. With two down, Carrillo and sophomore Maddy McIntyre launched back-to-back long balls in the top of the tenth to help Ohio State to the conference win.
- April 9 - Highlighting the twinbill victory over Ohio was DiDomenico, who posted a career-high 17 strikeouts in game two, marking the second-most strikeouts by a Buckeye in a single game in school history.
- April 12-14 – Ohio State swept Penn State in a home conference series in Columbus. Offensively, Prantl batted .444 in the series with five runs scored, a double and two RBI, while Rennie notched a home run, double, four RBI and three runs scored. McIntyre plated a team-best five RBI, while Conrad, Carrillo and Gresham each homered vs. the Nittany Lions.
- April 24 - The Scarlet and Gray improved to 9-3 at home in 2013 after sweeping Michigan State in a doubleheader on a chilly Wednesday evening at Buckeye Field. Prantl made “Sportscenter Top 10 Plays of the Day” after collecting a spectacular diving catch in foul territory.
- April 28 – Ohio State concluded a three-game series vs. Minnesota with a win, tallying a season-high 18 hits in a 14-6 win vs. the Gophers. Watkins led the charge with a career-high three doubles and four runs scored.
- May 8 – Prantl was named a Second Team All-Big Ten, while Carrillo was selected to the Big Ten All-Defensive Team. Rennie was named the 2013 Ohio State Sportsmanship honoree.
- May 9 – Sophomore Shelby Pickett led the Buckeyes to an 8-4 win over Iowa in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament after launching her first career grand slam in the bottom of the fifth vs. the Hawkeyes.
- May 10 – Ohio State ended its season with a 34-22 overall record and a 10-13 mark in Big Ten play.
- May 16 – Watkins named a Second Team NFCA All-Midwest Region selection, the National Fastpitch Coaches Association, announced Thursday.
- May 29 – Softball posts 10 members on the 2013 Academic All-Big Ten list.
- May 30 – Rennie named one of 24 student-athletes recognized by the Big Ten as Outstanding Sportsmanship Award winners.
2013 Award Winners
Second Team NFCA All-Midwest
Taylor Watkins, So., OF
Second Team All-Big Ten
Cammi Prantl, Fr., OF
Evelyn Carrillo, Jr., 1B
Big Ten Outstanding Sportsmanship
Melissa Rennie, Jr., C
Big Ten Sportsmanship Honoree
Melissa Rennie, Jr., C
Sansom Garners All-America Accolades
Ohio State Athletics Hosts Career Fair