April 27, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State softball team travels to Northwestern this weekend for a three-game series Saturday-Sunday in Evanston, Ill. The teams will play a doubleheader at 2 p.m. Saturday and will conclude the series at 2 p.m. Sunday live on BTN.com at Sharon J. Drysdale Field.
The Buckeyes (27-18, 6-8 Big Ten) are returning to conference action after claiming a 4-0 win vs. Nebraska April 22 in the final game of a three-game series in Columbus.
Gametracker will be available for each of the three games. A link can be found on the softball schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
• The Buckeyes are eighth in the Big Ten standings with a 6-8 record. Last time out, Ohio State claimed a 4-0 win vs. Nebraska in the final game of a three-game series in Columbus.
• Senior captain Alicia Herron is ninth in the nation in on-base percentage (.553), 27th in slugging percentage (.790) and 30th in RBI per game (1.03).
• In the Big Ten, Herron is first in on-base percentage (.553), second in slugging percentage (.790), RBI (44), home runs (11) and runs scored (40). She is fourth in batting average at .395.
• Herron reached base safely in 37-consecutive games from Feb. 10 to April 21 in 2012.
• Freshman Taylor Watkins has a team-best 15 multi-hit games in 2012.
• Herron leads the squad with 12 multi-RBI games. She has 43 multi-RBI performances in her career.
• Sophomore Evelyn Carrillo has collected 12 multi-RBI games.
• Senior pitcher Mikayla Endicott is ninth overall in the Big Ten with a 2.68 ERA and fourth in strikeouts (159) in 32 appearances.
• As a team, Ohio State is in the Top 5 in several conference batting statistics, including third in runs scored (240), fourth in hits (346) and fifth in on-base percentage (.383), RBI (212), home runs (32) and total bases (510).
• Ohio State claimed its 1,000th win in program history after claiming a 5-0 shutout vs. Georgetown in game one and a 12-3 victory in five innings vs. Longwood in game two March 2 at the 2012 Citrus Classic in Orlando, Fla.
• Ohio State returns 13 letterwinners and five starters from its 2011 squad.
• Nine newcomers join the Buckeye roster for this season, seven of them freshmen.
• The Buckeyes have made four NCAA appearances in the last six years, including their first run in program history to the NCAA Super Regional in 2009. Ohio State also made the tournament in 2006, 2007 and 2010.
LAST TIME IN BIG TEN PLAY
Ohio State claimed the final win of a three-game series vs. Nebraska April 22 after dropping the first two contests in Columbus. Sophomore Melanie Nichols posted a complete-game shutout victory against the Huskers for her 10th victory of the season, throwing seven innings, allowing no runs on three hits with four strikeouts.
Offensively, junior Danielle LeBeau batted .444 in the series with two doubles and a RBI, sophomore Evelyn Carrillo had two RBI, while junior Megan Coletta notched a home run and two RBI vs. the Huskers.
Northwestern is 19-25 overall and 6-9 in Big Ten play this year. The Wildcats are batting .276 as a team led by Marisa Bast, who leads the conference in batting average (.425), slugging percentage (.803), RBI (53) and home runs (12). In the circle, Meghan Lamberth is 8-11 with a 3.91 ERA with 60 strikeouts in 123.2 innings pitched, while Amy Letourneau is 9-8 with a 5.59 ERA with 94 strikeouts in 94 innings pitched.
The Buckeyes will conclude the 2012 home schedule in a three-game series vs. Iowa May 5-6. The two teams will play a doubleheader beginning at 6 p.m. May 5 and conclude the series at 2 p.m. May 6. Game one will help kick off the Ohio State Department of Athletics’ 2012-13 Centennial Celebration – a yearlong event that will commemorate the department’s 100th anniversary and membership in the Big Ten Conference. The doubleheader will also be broadcasted live on BTN. The final game May 6 will be Senior Day for Ohio State.
🌰📷 2017 Season In Review