Senior Megan Coletta
April 25, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State softball team is set to host Minnesota in a three-game series this weekend at Buckeye Field. As part of senior weekend, the Buckeyes (29-17, 8-9 Big Ten) will honor their senior class on Senior Day Sunday. The Scarlet and Gray return to the field after sweeping Michigan State in a doubleheader Wednesday, while the Gophers (28-15, 9-5 Big Ten) travel to Columbus after claiming two wins at Iowa State.
Friday, April 26 - 6 p.m.
- Free POMs for the first 100 fans
- Postgame fireworks at Bill Davis Stadium
- Senior Weekend
Saturday, April 27 - 2 p.m.
- Postgame meet and greet
- Free Fan-Fan for first 200 fans
- Senior Weekend
Sunday, April 28 - 1 p.m.
- $1 Dog Day
- Senior Day
- Kids run the bases after the game
- Free Seat Cushions for the first 100 fans
FOLLOWING FROM HOME
A link to Gametracker for each game this week can be found on the Ohio State softball schedule page on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Follow live action and play-by-play also on our twitter page at @OhioState_SB.
Ohio State vs.
Minnesota : 36-56; Minnesota leads the all-time series, 56-36, against the Buckeyes. The two teams haven't played since the 2011 campaign when Ohio State swept the Gophers in a doubleheader in Minneapolis. Ohio State has won the last seven meetings vs. Minnesota.
- The Buckeyes are currently tied for seventh in the Big Ten with a 8-9 league mark.
- Ohio State is 29-17 overall and 8-9 in Big Ten play after sweeping Michigan State in a doubleheader Wednesday at Buckeye Field.
- As a team, Ohio State leads the Big Ten in doubles (69), second in hits (375), runs scored (254) and RBI (232) and fifth in batting average (.294) and sixth in slugging percentage (.439).
- Freshman Cammi Prantl leads the team with a .368 average and 57 hits in 2013. The OSU left fielder is currently on a 12-game hit streak and also holds a team-best 17 multi-hit performances in 2013.
- Sophomore Taylor Watkins is batting .356 with a team-best 39 runs scored and 14 stolen bases. She is second in hits (53), doubles (9), home runs (7), RBI (35), slugging percentage (.570) and on base percentage (.453).
- Sophomore Maddy McIntyre is tied for second in the conference in walks with a career-high 34 free passes. She leads Ohio State with a .459 on base percentage.
- Junior Leesa Gresham is tied for eighth in the Big Ten with nine home runs. She also leads the Buckeyes in doubles (13) and slugging percentage (.615).
- Ohio State is 23-1 this season when scoring first, 18-0 when holding its opponents to 0-2 runs and 18-1 when leading after six innings.
- First-year head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly picked up her first win at Ohio State in the opening game of the season after the team downed Elon, 10-2, in five innings.
- The Buckeyes were named the 2013 Red and Black Showcase Champions Feb. 10 after going 4-1 at Georgia's opening tournament. The weekend was a highlighted by a 5-4 upset over No. 8 Georgia in eight innings Feb. 9. The win marked first win against the Bulldogs in program history and first road victory against a Top 25 opponent since the 2010 season.
- The Buckeyes defeated No. 16 Louisville, 1-0, Feb. 16 in eight innings, marking the second win vs. a nationally-ranked opponent this season.
- Ohio State downed No. 14 Arizona, 6-0, Feb. 22 at the Marry Nutter Collegiate Classic in Palm Springs for its third win over a Top 20 opponent.
PRANTL MAKES SPORTSCENTER TOP 10
Cammi Prantl's catch in game one vs. the Spartans made SportsCenter's "Top 10 Plays of the Day" Wednesday night. With one down in the top of the sixth in a 1-1 contest, Prantl, a native of Asheville, Ohio, reached out with full extension in foul territory to make an amazing diving catch at Buckeye Field. To watch the video, go to the official facebook page of Buckeye softball at www.facebook.com/OhioStateSoftball or click here.
The Buckeyes improved to 8-9 in Big Ten play after sweeping Michigan State Wednesday in Columbus. The Buckeyes (29-17, 8-9 Big Ten) won game one, 4-1, before downing the Spartans (21-20, 7-6 Big Ten), 6-3, in game two to claim their third series victory of the Big Ten season.
Sophomore Shelby Pickett notched a three-run blast in the bottom of the sixth in a 1-1 contest for the eventual gamewinner, while classmate Alex DiDomenico posted her 11th complete game victory in the cirlce. In game two, redshirt junior Melanie Nichols claimed her fourth victory of the season, allowing no earned runs, while sophomore Taylor Watkins posted a two-run single in the bottom of the fourth to give Ohio State the eventual win.
2013 BIG TEN TOURNAMENT
Tickets for the 2013 Big Ten Softball Tournament May 9-12 hosted by Nebraska University at Bowlin Stadium are now on sale. All 12 schools will participate in the Big Ten Tournament, with the top four seeds receiving a first-round bye. The tournament will be single-elimination, with 11 total games being played. The Big Ten Network will televise both semifinals on Saturday, as well as Sunday's championship game. To order tickets and for more information on the tournament can be found at www.huskers.com.
The Buckeyes conclude the 2013 home schedule May 1 in a midweek doubleheader vs. Wright State. As always, admission is free.
Humphrey Highlights | Taylor White