Ohio State Hosts Nebraska This Weekend
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State softball team hosts Nebraska in a three-game conference series this weekend at Buckeye Field. The two teams will play a doubleheader beginning at 5 p.m. Saturday and will conclude the series at 2 p.m. Sunday.
This will be the first meetings between the two schools since Nebraska joined the Big Ten Conference last summer. The game Sunday will be streamed live on BTN.com. The Buckeyes (26-16, 5-6 Big Ten) return to the field after sweeping Ohio in a doubleheader Wednesday.
• The Buckeyes are sixth in the Big Ten standings with a 5-6 record. Last time out, Ohio State swept Ohio in a doubleheader Wednesday at Buckeye Field to improve to 7-0 at home in non-conference action.
• Senior captain Alicia Herron is eighth in the nation in on-base percentage (.559), 18th in slugging percentage (.841) and 17th in RBI per game (1.13).
• In the Big Ten, Herron is first in slugging percentage (.841), on-base percentage (.559) and total bases (90) and tied for first in home runs (11). The OSU shortstop is second in batting average (.411), runs scored (36), RBI (43) and triples (4) and fourth in walks (24).
• Herron has reached base safely in a career-high 37-consecutive games.
• Freshman Taylor Watkins has a team-best 14 multi-hit games in 2012.
• Herron leads the squad with 12 multi-RBI games. She has 43 multi-RBI performances in her career.
• Sophomore Evelyn Carrillo has collected 12 multi-RBI games.
• Senior pitcher Mikayla Endicott is sixth overall in the Big Ten with a 2.53 ERA and third in strikeouts (151) in 31 appearances.
• As a team, Ohio State is in the Top 5 in several conference batting statistics, including third in triples (7), fourth in runs scored (210), hits (314), home runs (31) and total bases (461).
• In Big Ten games, Carrillo is tied for second in batting average (.500) and hits (18) and tied for third in RBI (16).
• Ohio State claimed its 1,000th win in program history after claiming a 5-0 shutout vs. Georgetown in game one and a 12-3 victory in five innings vs. Longwood in game two March 2 at the 2012 Citrus Classic in Orlando, Fla.
• Ohio State returns 13 letterwinners and five starters from its 2011 squad.
• Nine newcomers join the Buckeye roster for this season, seven of them freshmen.
• The Buckeyes have made four NCAA appearances in the last six years, including their first run in program history to the NCAA Super Regional in 2009. Ohio State also made the tournament in 2006, 2007 and 2010.
LAST TIME OUT
In game one, senior captain Alicia Herron went 2-for-2 with a double, RBI and two walks, while freshman Taylor Watkins was 2-for-3 with a double, RBI and one walk. In the circle, senior Mikayla Endicott improved to 16-10 overall, throwing 5.1 innings, allowing two earned runs with no walks and three strikeouts.
In game two, eight of the Buckeyes’ 11 hits went for extra bases. The eight extra base hits ties a season-high for the team after claiming eight in a 10-5 win vs. Long Beach State Feb. 18 in Las Vegas. At the plate, sophomore Evelyn Carrillo had two doubles and four RBI, while junior Megan Coletta collected a double, triple and three RBI. Freshman Maddy McIntyre and sophomore Melaina Saalfeld each had two RBI, while Alicia Herron was walked three times to extend her reach base total to 37-consecutive games. Sophomore Melanie Nichols improved to 9-6, throwing four innings, allowing three earned runs on five hits with a strikeout.
LAST TIME IN BIG TEN PLAY
SCOUTING THE HUSKERS
The Buckeyes and Huskers are tied, 3-3, in the all-time series between the two schools. Last season, Nebraska defeated the Scarlet and Gray at the Cathedral City Classic.
HERRON CHASING MULTIPLE RECORDS
37 AND COUNTING
BIG TEN TRIPLE CROWN CONTENDER
In the circle, Mikayla Endicott is 16-10 overall with a 2.53 ERA in 33 appearances in 2012. The first-year Buckeye has collected 154 strikeouts, which is third-best in the conference.
Spears, a native of Brea, Calif., is batting .314 with a team-high eight doubles, two home runs and 16 RBI. The OSU starting left fielder, Spears went 3-for-4 with a grand slam and four RBI in game two at Michigan State March 31 in East Lansing, Mich. Last week, Spears was 2-for-3 with a triple and two runs scored in a 3-2 win vs. Dayton April 11.
Simonton, a native of Dublin, Ohio, has a .313 batting average and leads the team with 10 stolen bases in 33 starts in right field. She has collected six multi-hit games this season.
Watkins, a native of Bonney Lake, Wash., is first on the team in hits with 52 and third in runs scored with 32. The Buckeye lead-off hitter claimed a season-high 15-game hit streak, from March 3-April 4. She is first on the team with 14 multi-hit games.
WATKINS CHASING FRESHMAN BATTING RECORD
AND IT’S GONE
The Buckeyes have seen 11 players combine for 31 home runs this season with senior shortstop Alicia Herron recording a team-high 11 in 35 games. Sophomore Evelyn Carrillo, who has 11 career long balls, is second with five home runs, while junior Megan Coletta and freshman Caitlin Conrad each have three. Junior Danielle LeBeau and senior Vanessa Spears each have two home runs.
The Ohio State pitching corps has allowed its opponents to hit just 16 home runs this season.
Freshman Maddy McIntyre has become a regular in lineup the past few weeks, starting in 24 games at second base for the Buckeyes. In the last 10 games, McIntyre is hitting .292 with two doubles, a home run and nine RBI.
Caitlin Conrad, a native of Richwood, Ohio, has shown signs of power at the plate for the Scarlet and Gray, notching three home runs with nine RBI in 16 starts, including 11 starts in right field. Freshman Shelby Pickett has started in 25 games behind the plate for the Buckeyes, posting a home run, two doubles and eight RBI.
In the circle, freshman Olivia O’Reilly is 1-0 with a 2.03 ERA in nine appearances. She claimed her first career victory in her first start as a Buckeye vs. Belmont March 17, throwing four innings, allowing just three hits and no earned runs with four strikeouts.
FOLLOW THE BUCKEYES