March 8, 2013
Ohio State at Miken Invitational
March 9-10, 2013
College Park, Md.
Robert E. Taylor Stadium
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State softball team will begin an eight-day, 11-game spring break trip this weekend, traveling to College Park, Md., for four games at the Miken Invitational hosted by University of Maryland. The Buckeyes open competition at 1 p.m. Saturday vs. Maryland before taking on Radford at 5:30 p.m. at Robert E. Taylor Stadium. The team closes out the weekend with a matchup vs. Big Ten opponent Iowa at 11 a.m. before taking on St. John's at 3 p.m. Sunday.
A link to Gametracker for each game this weekend can be found on the Ohio State softball schedule page on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Follow live action and play-by-play also on our twitter page at @OhioState_SB.
Ohio State vs.
Maryland: 0-1 - Ohio State fell to Maryland, 11-3, at the Georgia Tech/Buzz Classic during the 1999 campaign in the only meeting between the two schools.
Radford: 0-0 - The game Saturday will be the first meeting between the Buckeyes and Highlanders.
Iowa: 37-63 - Last season, the Buckeyes claimed a 2-1 victory vs. the Hawkeyes to conclude on Senior Day in Columbus. Shelby Pickett posted the gamewinning RBI.
St. John's: 2-0 - Ohio State and the Red Storm will be meeting for the first time in 29 years.
BIG TEN OPENER
Following its spring break trip, the Buckeyes will open the home schedule and the Big Ten season at Buckeye Field March 22-24 in a three-game series vs. Indiana. Action begins at 3 p.m. March 22 vs. the Hoosiers.
DIDOMENICO NAMED BIG TEN PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Ohio State sophomore Alex DiDomenico has been named Big Ten Pitcher of the Week, the conference office announced Feb. 18. The award is the first career Big Ten weekly honor for DiDomenico.
DiDomenico, from Youngstown, Ohio, posted a spotless earned run average last weekend, pitching 15 innings in three appearances at the Jacksonville Tournament where she held opponents to a .130 average. She closed the weekend with an eight-inning effort against No. 16/17 Louisville, scattering just four hits while striking out three in the win Feb. 16. DiDomenico won the opening game against Bethune-Cookman Feb. 15, striking out four, before coming onto pitch three innings of scoreless relief against the Wildcats Feb. 15.
CARRILLO NAMED OHIO STATE ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
First baseman Evelyn Carrillo helped the Buckeyes become Red and Black Showcase Champions with a 4-1 record Feb. 8-10 in Athens, Ga. She batted .444 with eight hits, seven RBI, a home run and a stolen base in five games. Carrillo went 3-for-5 at the plate with an RBI in the 5-4 extra inning, upset victory over No. 8 Georgia Feb. 9. The win marked the first for the Buckeyes against the Bulldogs in program history.
- Ohio State is 9-6 overall after going 2-3 at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic Feb. 22-24 in Palm Springs, Calif. The Buckeyes defeated their third-ranked opponent of the season, defeating No. 14 Arizona, 6-0, in game two at the tournament.
- Ohio State posted a 3-2 mark at the JU Tournament. The Buckeyes defeated No. 16 Louisville, 1-0, Feb. 16 in eight innings, marking the second win vs. a nationally-ranked opponent this season.
- The Buckeyes were named the 2013 Red and Black Showcase Champions Feb. 10 after going 4-1 at Georgia's opening tournament. The weekend was a highlighted by a 5-4 upset over No. 8 Georgia in eight innings Feb. 9. The win marked first win against the Bulldogs in program history and first road victory against a Top 25 opponent since the 2010 season.
- First-year head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly picked up her first win at Ohio State in the opening game of the season after the team downed Elon, 10-2, in five innings.
- As a team, Ohio State is second in on-base percentage (.384), tied for third in doubles (23) and hit by pitches (15) and fifth in batting average (.298) and ERA (2.20) in the Big Ten.
- The Buckeye pitching staff has combined for a 2.03 ERA, allowing just 20 earned runs in 69.0 innings pitched.
- Sophomore Taylor Watkins is seventh in the Big Ten with a .411 batting average and is tied for seventh in hits with 23 in 2013. She claimed a team-high 10-game hit streak to begin the season from Feb. 8-Feb. 17.
- Junior designated player Leesa Gresham is second on the team with a .368 average with five doubles, two home runs and nine RBI. She is tenth in the Big Ten in slugging percentage with a .658 mark.
- Junior first baseman Evelyn Carrillo is batting .353 with a home run, 11 RBI and a .451 slugging percentage through 10 games.
- Freshman Cammi Prantl has a .304 batting average with 14 hits, four doubles, one triple and five RBI. Prantl leads the team with five stolen bases this season, including a 3-for-3 mark vs. Winthrop Feb. 10.
- Sophomore Maddy McIntyre leads the Big Ten in walks with 16 and has a team-best five doubles.
- Sophomore pitcher Alex DiDomenico leads the Big Ten in ERA (0.78) and runs allowed (4). She has given up the fewest hits in the conference as of March 3.
Ohio State continues its spring break trip with two-mid week games next week. The Buckeyes will face George Washington at 1 p.m. March 13 before traveling to Towson at 2 p.m. March 14.
Sansom Garners All-America Accolades
Ohio State Athletics Hosts Career Fair