Feb. 21, 2013
Ohio State at Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic
Feb. 22-24, 2013
Palm Springs, Calif.
Big League Dreams Park
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State softball team travels to Palm Springs, Calif., for the 2013 Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic this weekend for five contests, including two games against Top 25 opponents. The MNCC is the largest and most competitive Division I softball event outside of the NCAA post season and features 35 Top Division 1 programs from the Pac-12, Big Ten, SEC, ACC and many others.
Ohio State begins the tournament with games against two nationally-ranked opponents Friday. The Buckeyes face No. 11/10 LSU at 6 p.m. ET before taking on No. 14/19 Arizona at 9 p.m. ET. Day two will consist of a contest vs. Cal Poly at 12:30 p.m. ET before taking on San Diego State at 3:30 p.m. ET. The squad will conclude action in California with a game at Noon ET Sunday vs. Utah.
FOLLOWING FROM HOME
A link to Gametracker for each game this weekend can be found on the Ohio State softball schedule page on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Follow live action and play-by-play also on our twitter page at @OhioState_SB.
Ohio State vs.
LSU: 2-3 – The Buckeyes defeated the No. 21-ranked Tigers, 2-0, during the 2009 campaign at LSU Tournament in Baton Rouge, La.
Arizona: 2-12 – Ohio State fell to No. 1 Arizona in the last meeting during the 2007 season, falling 12-3, at the ASU Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz.
Cal Poly: 1-4 – The Scarlet and Gray fell to Cal Poly, 5-4, in the last meeting during the 1996 campaign at the Sacramento State Tournament.
San Diego State: 4-4 – Ohio State dropped a 4-2 contest vs. SDSU during the 2011 campaign on a walk-off home run at the San Diego Classic.
Utah: 4-8 – The Buckeyes defeated Utah, 1-0, at Cal State Fullerton during the 2007 season.
DIDOMENICO NAMED BIG TEN PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Ohio State sophomore Alex DiDomenico has been named Big Ten Pitcher of the Week, the conference office announced Monday. The award is the first career Big Ten weekly honor for DiDomenico.
DiDomenico, from Youngstown, Ohio, posted a spotless earned run average last weekend, pitching 15 innings in three appearances at the Jacksonville Tournament where she held opponents to a .130 average. She closed the weekend with an eight-inning effort against No. 16/17 Louisville, scattering just four hits while striking out three in the win Feb. 16. DiDomenico won the opening game against Bethune-Cookman Feb. 15, striking out four, before coming onto pitch three innings of scoreless relief against the Wildcats Feb. 15.
CARRILLO NAMED OHIO STATE ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
First baseman Evelyn Carrillo helped the Buckeyes become Red and Black Showcase Champions with a 4-1 record last weekend in Athens, Ga. She batted .444 with eight hits, seven RBI, a home run and a stolen base in five games. Carrillo went 3-for-5 at the plate with an RBI in the 5-4 extra inning, upset victory over No. 8 Georgia Feb. 9. The win marked the first for the Buckeyes against the Bulldogs in program history.
- Ohio State is 7-3 overall after going 3-2 last weekend at the JU Tournament. The Buckeyes defeated No. 16 Louisville, 1-0, Feb. 16 in eight innings, marking the second win vs. a nationally-ranked opponent this season.
- The Buckeyes were named the 2013 Red and Black Showcase Champions Feb. 10 after going 4-1 at Georgia’s opening tournament. The weekend was a highlighted by a 5-4 upset over No. 8 Georgia in eight innings Feb. 9. The win marked first win against the Bulldogs in program history and first road victory against a Top 25 opponent since the 2010 season.
- First-year head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly picked up her first win at Ohio State in the opening game of the season after the team downed Elon, 10-2, in five innings.
- As a team, Ohio State is first in the Big Ten in walks (41), second in runs scored (65), RBI (57), hits (92) and fielding percentage (.973). The Buckeyes are third in the conference in doubles (14) and home runs (6).
- The Buckeye pitching staff has combined for a 2.03 ERA, allowing just 20 earned runs in 69.0 innings pitched.
- Sophomore Taylor Watkins leads the conference with 18 hits and is tied for third in runs scored (9) and tied for sixth in the league with 10 RBI. She leads the team with a .474 batting average and has 10-game hitting streak.
- Junior first baseman Evelyn Carrillo is batting .389 with a home run, eight RBI and a .528 slugging percentage through 10 games.
- Freshman Cammi Prantl has a .387 batting average with 12 hits, three doubles and two RBI. Prantl leads the team with five stolen bases this season, including a 3-for-3 mark vs. Winthrop Feb. 10.
- Sophomore Maddy McIntyre leads the Big Ten in walks with 12 and has a team-best four doubles.
- Sophomore pitcher Alex DiDomenico leads the Big Ten in ERA (0.27) and opposing batting average (.172). She is 3-0 in 25.2 innings pitched for the Scarlet and Gray.
The Buckeyes will have a week off before traveling to College Park, Md., for four games March 9-10 at a tournament hosted by the University of Maryland.
Humphrey Highlights | Taylor White