Feb. 14, 2013
Ohio State at Jacksonville Tournament
Feb. 15-17, 2013
JU Softball Complex
PDF: 2013 Media Guide
PDF: Quick Facts
Buckeye Softball Facebook
COLUMBUS, Ohio – After starting the 2013 season on a strong note last weekend, the Ohio State softball team continues its tournament schedule Friday-Sunday at the Jacksonville Tournament at JU Softball Complex in Jacksonville, Fla.
Ohio State plays Bethune-Cookman at 2 p.m. Friday before taking on Jacksonville at 6 p.m. Ohio State will follow with two games Saturday at 9:30 a.m. vs. Bethune-Cookman before facing No. 17/16 Louisville at 11:45 a.m. The team will conclude its second weekend of competition with a contest vs. Stony Brook at 11:15 a.m. Sunday.
FOLLOWING FROM HOME
A link to Gametracker for each game this weekend can be found on the Ohio State softball schedule page on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Folllow live action and play-by-play also on our twitter page at @OhioState_SB.
CARRILLO NAMED OHIO STATE ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Ohio State vs.
Bethune-Cookman: 1-0; The Buckeyes won the only meeting between the Wildcats during the 2004 season in the NCAA Tallahassee Regional, defeating Bethune-Cookman, 2-0, May 20.
Jacksonville: 0-0: This is the first meeting between the Buckeyes and Dolphins this weekend.
Louisville: 2-3: Louisville swept Ohio State last season March 20 in Louisville in a doubleheader, defeating the Scarlet and Gray, 7-0, and 7-2, respectively.
Stony Brook: 0-0: Ohio State will play Stony Brook for the first time in program history Sunday.
First baseman Evelyn Carrillo
helped the Buckeyes become Red and Black Showcase Champions with a 4-1 record last weekend in Athens, Ga. She batted .444 with eight hits, seven RBI, a home run and a stolen base in five games. Carrillo went 3-for-5 at the plate with an RBI in the 5-4 extra inning, upset victory over No. 8 Georgia Feb. 9. The win marked the first for the Buckeyes against the Bulldogs in program history.
- The Buckeyes were named the 2013 Red and Black Showcase Champions Feb. 10 after going 4-1 at Georgia’s opening tournament. The weekend was a highlighted by a 5-4 upset over No. 8 Georgia in eight innings Feb. 9. The win marked first win against the Bulldogs in program history and first road victory against a Top 25 opponent since the 2010 season.
- First-year head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly picked up her first win at Ohio State in the opening game of the season after the team downed Elon, 10-2, in five innings.
- As a team, Ohio State is hitting .273, posting 37 runs scored, 32 RBI and a .414 on-base percentage through five games.
- The Buckeye pitching staff has combined for a 2.26 ERA, allowing just 11 earned runs in 34.0 innings pitched.
- Junior first baseman Evelyn Carrillo is batting a team-best .444 with a home run, seven RBI and a.611 slugging percentage.
- Sophomore outfielder Taylor Watkins leads the squad with six runs scored with a .400 batting average in 20 at-bats in 2013.
- Freshman Cammi Prantl has a .375 batting average, collecting a multiple of career-firsts during the opening weekend, including her first runs scored, extra base, RBI and stolen base. Prantl leads the team with four stolen bases this season, including a 3-for-3 mark vs. Winthrop Feb. 10.
- Sophomore pitcher Alex DiDomenico picked up her first win of her career last weekend after closing the door on No. 8 Georgia in 1.2 innings pitched, allowing no runs with a strikeout on two hits.
The Buckeyes will next travel out west for five games at the Mary Nutter Classic in Palm Springs, Calif., Feb. 22-24, at Big League Dreams Park.