Junior Evelyn Carrillo
Feb. 14, 2013
Ohio State at Jacksonville Tournament
Feb. 15-17, 2013
JU Softball Complex
COLUMBUS, Ohio – After starting the 2013 season on a strong note last weekend, the Ohio State softball team continues its tournament schedule Friday-Sunday at the Jacksonville Tournament at JU Softball Complex in Jacksonville, Fla.
Ohio State plays Bethune-Cookman at 2 p.m. Friday before taking on Jacksonville at 6 p.m. Ohio State will follow with two games Saturday at 9:30 a.m. vs. Bethune-Cookman before facing No. 17/16 Louisville at 11:45 a.m. The team will conclude its second weekend of competition with a contest vs. Stony Brook at 11:15 a.m. Sunday.
FOLLOWING FROM HOME
A link to Gametracker for each game this weekend can be found on the Ohio State softball schedule page on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Folllow live action and play-by-play also on our twitter page at @OhioState_SB.
Ohio State vs.
Bethune-Cookman: 1-0; The Buckeyes won the only meeting between the Wildcats during the 2004 season in the NCAA Tallahassee Regional, defeating Bethune-Cookman, 2-0, May 20.
Jacksonville: 0-0: This is the first meeting between the Buckeyes and Dolphins this weekend.
Louisville: 2-3: Louisville swept Ohio State last season March 20 in Louisville in a doubleheader, defeating the Scarlet and Gray, 7-0, and 7-2, respectively.
Stony Brook: 0-0: Ohio State will play Stony Brook for the first time in program history Sunday.
CARRILLO NAMED OHIO STATE ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
First baseman Evelyn Carrillo helped the Buckeyes become Red and Black Showcase Champions with a 4-1 record last weekend in Athens, Ga. She batted .444 with eight hits, seven RBI, a home run and a stolen base in five games. Carrillo went 3-for-5 at the plate with an RBI in the 5-4 extra inning, upset victory over No. 8 Georgia Feb. 9. The win marked the first for the Buckeyes against the Bulldogs in program history.
- The Buckeyes were named the 2013 Red and Black Showcase Champions Feb. 10 after going 4-1 at Georgia’s opening tournament. The weekend was a highlighted by a 5-4 upset over No. 8 Georgia in eight innings Feb. 9. The win marked first win against the Bulldogs in program history and first road victory against a Top 25 opponent since the 2010 season.
- First-year head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly picked up her first win at Ohio State in the opening game of the season after the team downed Elon, 10-2, in five innings.
- As a team, Ohio State is hitting .273, posting 37 runs scored, 32 RBI and a .414 on-base percentage through five games.
- The Buckeye pitching staff has combined for a 2.26 ERA, allowing just 11 earned runs in 34.0 innings pitched.
- Junior first baseman Evelyn Carrillo is batting a team-best .444 with a home run, seven RBI and a.611 slugging percentage.
- Sophomore outfielder Taylor Watkins leads the squad with six runs scored with a .400 batting average in 20 at-bats in 2013.
- Freshman Cammi Prantl has a .375 batting average, collecting a multiple of career-firsts during the opening weekend, including her first runs scored, extra base, RBI and stolen base. Prantl leads the team with four stolen bases this season, including a 3-for-3 mark vs. Winthrop Feb. 10.
- Sophomore pitcher Alex DiDomenico picked up her first win of her career last weekend after closing the door on No. 8 Georgia in 1.2 innings pitched, allowing no runs with a strikeout on two hits.
The Buckeyes will next travel out west for five games at the Mary Nutter Classic in Palm Springs, Calif., Feb. 22-24, at Big League Dreams Park.
Buckeyes Announce 2017 Schedule