Feb. 7, 2013
Ohio State at Sixth Annual Red and Black Showcase
Feb. 8-10, 2013
Jack Turner Stadium
PDF: Quick Facts
Buckeye Softball Facebook
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State softball team opens the 2013 season Friday-Sunday at the Sixth Annual Red and Black Showcase hosted by the University of Georgia in Athens, Ga. The Buckeyes will play five games at the tournament, beginning with a contest vs. Elon at 12:30 p.m. before playing No. 8/9 Georgia at 5:30 p.m. from Jack Turner Stadium.
Ohio State plays Winthrop at 10 a.m. Saturday, while facing the Bulldogs in a second game at 3 p.m. before concluding the opening weekend vs. the Eagles at 10 a.m. Sunday.
FOLLOWING FROM HOME
A link to Gametracker for each game this weekend can be found on the Ohio State softball schedule page on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. The two games vs. Georgia will also be broadcasted at georgiadogs.com with no subscription cost.
Ohio State vs.
Elon: 0-0; Friday's game vs. the Phoenix will be first meeting between the two schools
Georgia: 0-3; last meeting in 2009; Bulldogs swept the Buckeyes in the NCAA Athens Super Regional during 2009 postseason.
Winthrop: 1-0; only meeting in 2004; Ohio State defeated the Eagles, 9-1, at the Winthrop Invitational during 200 season.
- Ohio State is led by first-year head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly, who was Miami's all-time winningest coach with 188 career victories in six seasons in Oxford.
- Schoenly is assisted by assistant coaches Amanda Buchholz and Jenna Hall. Buchholz spent three seasons as an assistant under Schoenly at Miami and will guide the Buckeye defense, while Hall comes from Ohio University and will help direct the OSU offense.
- The Buckeyes return 16 letterwinners from the 2012 squad that went 31-23 overall and 10-13 in Big Ten play.
- Ohio State welcomes four newcomers (Amanda Abbruzzese, OF; Jesse Machovina, UTL; Cammi Prantl, OF; and Jayla Saibene, 2B/OF).
- Key returnees include:
- Evelyn Carrillo - Junior first baseman has played in more than 100 games in her first two seasons with Ohio State, collecting a career-high 47 RBI last season and a .452 slugging percentage in 2012.
- Shelby Pickett - Sophomore catcher was named a Third Team All-Big Ten selection as a freshman, posting the highest batting average (.300) by Big Ten catchers in league play last year.
- Megan Coletta - Senior leader of the Buckeyes has played in a team-best 143 career games at third base. She posted 40 hits, 28 runs scored and a .403 slugging percentage as a junior.
- Taylor Watkins - Sophomore outfielder had an impressive rookie season with a .343 batting average (second-best on team), including 62 hits, 37 runs scored and 23 RBI.
The Buckeyes will be guided for the first time this weekend under first-year head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly, who spent six seasons at Miami, posting a program-best 188 wins for the RedHawks.
Schoenly led the RedHawks to their first MAC Tournament title in 2009 before winning again in 2012. Schoenly also helped the team to two NCAA Tournament berths in both 2009 and 2012, respectively. Prior to her stint at Miami, Schoenly was an assistant coach at Penn State (1998-2006) for eight seasons and helped guide the Nittany Lions to seven Big Ten Tournament appearances and six NCAA Tournament berths. Before her time in State College, Schoenly was an assistant at her alma mater, Michigan, for three years (1995-98), helping the squad reach the NCAA Women's College World Series three consecutive times.
During her collegiate pitching career at Michigan (1991-95), Schoenly earned numerous conference and national awards, including 1995 NFCA First-Team All-America honors. A two-time Big Ten Pitcher of the Year and three-time all-conference selection, Schoenly was a member of three Big Ten Conference Championship teams.
Ohio State will continue the tournament schedule at Jacksonville University Tournament Feb. 15-17 in Jacksonville, Fla. The Buckeyes will play five games, facing Bethune Cookman, Jacksonville, Louisville and Stony Brook at JU Softball Complex.
Buckeyes Announce 2017 Schedule