COLUMBUS, Ohio Ohio State senior midfielder Lara Dickenmann has been named to the 2007 All-Great Lakes Region women’s soccer first team and Courtney Jenkins was named to the region’s All-Freshmen team by a poll of Division I coaches conducted by SoccerBuzz Magazine and announced Dec. 21.
Dickenmann, from Kriens, Switzerland and who was a second-team all-Great Lakes Region selection by NSCAA/adidas, lead the Buckeyes this season to the Big Ten tournament championship game and to their fourth NCAA tournament appearance with 16 points, including a team-best eight assists. She concluded her career the holder of Ohio State’s career assist record with 35 and she ranked second in points (89) and shots (294).
Jenkins, from Dublin, Ohio, Coffman High School and one of five freshmen in coach Lori Walker’s starting lineup this season, had four goals and nine total points, playing mostly as a midfielder. She started 20 of the 21 games she played in. She scored game-winning goals against Wright State and Minnesota. She also scored a goal in a Big Ten tournament opening-round win over Indiana and she assisted on the Buckeye goal in the Big Ten tournament title game against Purdue.
A recap of the 2007 honors and awards to date for Ohio State and its student-athletes:
- Ohio State advanced to the NCAA tournament for the fourth time in the past six years on the strength of 12 victories against a schedule that included 11 games against eight teams that made the NCAA field.
- The Buckeyes qualified for their 12th Big Ten tournament appearance in 15 years as a varsity sport at Ohio State. The team defeated Indiana and then advanced in a penalty kick shootout past Penn State to make its fourth Big Ten tournament championship game.
- Dickenmann was named first-team all-Big Ten Conference for the third time in her storied career at Ohio State. She was one of only two players Parrissa Eyorokon of Purdue was the other to be a unanimous selection to the 2007 all-Big Ten first team.
- Jenkins was named to the Big Ten’s All-Freshman team.
- Senior tri-captain Amanda Ball was one of 11 players honored with the Big Ten Conference Sportsmanship Award.
- Dickenmann and sophomore goalkeeper Lauren Robertson were each selected to the Big Ten Conference all-tournament team.
- Dickenmann became the first Buckeye to be named to the MAC Hermann Trophy watch list. The Hermann Trophy is presented to collegiate soccer’s player of the year.
- Ten student-athletes were named to the Big Ten Conference’s fall Academic All-Big Ten team, including all three of the team’s captains this past season seniors Ball, Dickenmann and Keiana Mitchell. The others honored include senior Kate Linehan, juniors Caitlin Colfer and Amy Graeff, sophomores Ashley Bowyer, Marisa Simon and Lauren Thomas and freshman Lauren Steuer.
- Dickenmann was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District third team.
- Robertson was named Big Ten player of the week twice (Sept. 10 and Oct. 14).
- Robertson and senior Carla Arbulu were each named to SoccerBuzz Magazine’s national Elite Team of the Week. Robertson was named Sept. 10 and Arbulu was named Sept. 3.
Ohio State Doubles Up Wright State, 4-2
Agnew, Wolcott Named 2016 Captains