COLUMBUS, Ohio - The 14th-ranked and fourth-seeded Ohio State women’s soccer team hosts Vanderbilt in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at 6 p.m. Friday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
The winner of the match between the Buckeyes and Commodores will take on the winner of the California/Santa Clara matchup in the second round next Friday.
Fans can follow live stats and streaming video on the schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for children and seniors. Tickets can be purchased 90 minutes prior to the game Friday at the southwest entrance to Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Ohio State students will receive free admission to the match with their BuckID.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Top-seeded Ohio State fell to fifth-seeded Penn State, 1-0, on Laura Freigang’s goal with 42 seconds remaining in the second overtime of a Big Ten semifinal last Friday in Westfield, Ind. Devon Kerr made a season-high eight saves for the Buckeyes in the loss.
BUCKEYES IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
Ohio State will be playing in its 12th NCAA Tournament and eighth in the last nine seasons. The Buckeyes are 12-10-2 all-time in NCAA Tournament contests, all under the direction of 21st-year head coach Lori Walker-Hock.
BUCKEYES’ ALL-BIG HONOREES
In the list of All-Big Ten teams and individual award winners announced Oct. 27, head coach Lori Walker-Hock was a unanimous choice for Big Ten Coach of the Year while Nikki Walts was named midfielder of the Year and Morgan Wolcott garnered Defender of the Year laurels. Forward Sammy Edwards joined Walts and Wolcott as first team All-Big Ten picks while goalkeeper Devon Kerr was a second team All-Big Ten selection and midfielder Sarah Roberts and defender Izzy Rodriguez were third team all-conference honorees. Forward Maddy Lowe joined Rodriguez on the Big Ten All-Freshman team while defender Kylie Knight was the Buckeyes’ Big Ten sportsmanship award selection.
IN THE RANKINGS
The Buckeyes are ranked 14th in the United Soccer Coaches poll and 16th by TopDrawerSoccer.com and Soccer America. Ohio State also finished 17th in the last regular-season RPI rankings and is ranked third in the United Soccer Coaches Midwest region.
BUCKEYES PICK UP B1G WEEKLY HONORS
Three Buckeyes picked up a total of five Big Ten Conference weekly honors in 2017.
Ohio State Big Ten Weekly Honors:
Devon Kerr - Defensive Player of the Week (9/26)
Sammy Edwards - Offensive Player of the Week (10/4)
Devon Kerr - Defensive Player of the Week (10/4)
Izzy Rodriguez - Freshman of the Week (10/11)
Sammy Edwards - Offensive Player of the Week (10/26)
SOME MORE NOTES
- Ohio State is 37-1-2 when scoring at least two goals in a game since the start of 2014, including 11-0-0 in 2017. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 in 2016 and 10-1-1 last season.
- Ohio State is 15-0-0 when scoring first after going 10-0-1 when scoring first a season ago.
- Ohio State is 4-1-1 in overtime contests so far in 2017 and 9-2-7 in overtime matches over the last three seasons.
- The seven goals against Illinois Sept. 14 marked the most in a Big Ten game in program history and tied for the fourth-most in any contest. The highest-scoring outputs in Ohio State women’s soccer history:
14 vs. Robert Morris (10/12/95)
9 at Valparaiso (11/2/96)
8 vs. Xavier (9/2/04)
7 vs. Youngstown State (9/21/03)
7 vs. Illinois (9/14/17)
- The goal the Buckeyes allowed in the 83rd minute snapped at Rutgers Ohio State’s shutout streak at 687:20, marking the longest shutout streak in program history. The streak bested the previous high of 522 minutes in 1998 and 460:59 in 2012.
- The Buckeyes are second in the Big Ten with 36 goals scored and 37 assists.
- Sammy Edwards is fourth in the conference with 10 goals and 25 points while Nikki Walts is second with nine assists. Edwards’ five game-winning goals tie for second in the conference while Arden Holden is tied for fifth with six assists. Goalkeeper Devon Kerr ranks second in the conference with a 0.56 goals-against average and fourth with nine shutouts.
- Ohio State sits 17th in the country with a 0.53 goals-against average and 21st with a .857 save percentage. The Buckeyes also are tied for 22nd with 37 assists.
- Nikki Walts is tied for 15th nationally with nine assists while Devon Kerr is tied for 28th with nine clean sheets and 18th with a 0.56 goals-against average.
- Sammy Edwards joins Nichelle Prince and Lara Dickenmann in a tie for eighth on the Ohio State career goals list with 27. The senior also moved into 10th on the Buckeyes’ career points list with 63. Nikki Walts sits in sole possession of fourth place on the Buckeyes’ career assists list with 22 and tied for fourth on the single-season assists list with nine. Devon Kerr’s nine shutouts tie her with Emily Haynam and Amber Barnes for second on the Buckeyes’ single-season shutout list. Kerr also sits tied with Katie Baumgardner for fifth on the Ohio State career clean sheet list with 11.
- With the wins at Nebraska and Iowa, the Buckeyes earned victories in their first two Big Ten road matches of the season for the first time since the 2010 campaign.
- Ohio State allowed just four shots against Michigan and then again at No. 24 Rutgers, marking the fewest the Buckeyes have allowed in a game since allowing four in a 3-0 win over Indiana Oct. 30, 2011.
- The Buckeyes have outscored their opponents 20-6 after halftime this season.
BUCKEYE TRIO NAMED PLAYERS TO WATCH
Seniors Nikki Walts and Morgan Wolcott, along with freshman Maddy Lowe, have been named the Buckeyes’ players to watch, the conference office announced Aug. 14. Ohio State was selected eighth in the Big Ten preseason coaches’ poll.
WALTS, WOLCOTT NAMED 2017 CAPTAINS
Seniors Nikki Walts and Morgan Wolcott have been named captains of the 2017 Ohio State women’s soccer team, head coach Lori Walker-Hock announced Aug. 15. In addition, Walker-Hock announced sophomore Meghan Kammerdeiner will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
Vanderbilt is 12-6-2 on the year after finishing SEC play with a 6-3-1 record. Simone Charley is tied for the team lead with four goals while tallying a team-best six assists. Kaitlyn Fahrner has seen the majority of the time in goal, tallying a 0.83 goals-against average with four shutouts.
The Buckeyes and Commodores will be meeting on the pitch for the first time Friday.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 21st-year head coach Lori Walker-Hock. She has guided the team to 11 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15-16), two Big Ten regular season championship (2010, 2017) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 241-159-41 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 254-182-42.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 132-51-19 all-time.
- Ohio State is 113-34-17 since 2003 and 67-22-9 since 2009.
Buckeye Trio Named Scholar All-Americans