Ohio State Hosts Michigan State with Big Ten Tournament on the Line on Senior Night Wednesday
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women’s soccer team concludes the regular season when it hosts Michigan State on Senior Night at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The Buckeyes will honor seniors Katelyn Kraft, Michela Paradiso and Marisa Wolf prior to the matchup against the Spartans.
With a win Wednesday, Ohio State will earn the No. 7 seed in the Big Ten Tournament.
Fans can follow live stats and video at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
The Buckeyes fell to No. 10 Penn State, 2-1, Saturday night in Columbus. Ohio State, playing against the wind and a driving rain, conceded a pair of first-half goals to the Nittany Lions. Lindsay Agnew’s fourth goal of the year in the 81st minute cut the lead in half but the Buckeyes were unable to find the late equalizer as Penn State came away with the win.
SOME MORE NOTES
- Michela Paradiso sits tied for fifth in Ohio State history with 17 assists.
- Nichelle Prince is tied for 11th on the Ohio State career goals list with 22. The junior also moved into a tie for ninth place on the Buckeyes’ career points list with 58.
- Prince has notched two of the 12 hat tricks in Ohio State history, accomplishing the feat against Northeastern and Northwestern in 2013.
- After missing all of 2014 with an injury, goalkeeper Jillian McVicker has made 32 saves and has tallied a 1.29 goals-against average.
- Prince is tied for eighth in the Big Ten with 18 points and and tied for second with six assists. Prince also is tied for 10th with six goals.
- Lindsay Agnew is tied for second in the conference with six assists.
- As a team, the Buckeyes are tied for fourth in the conference with 1.59 goals per game.
- Devon Kerr’s 10 saves against Illinois were the most by a Buckeye since Katie Baumgardner made 10 saves in a 1-0 win at Michigan Oct. 21, 2011. The 10 saves also are tied for the most by any Big Ten goalkeeper this year.
- The Illinois State match marked the first six-goal game for the Buckeyes wins a 6-1 win over Northwestern Oct. 20, 2013.
- The victory over No. 8 Florida was the Buckeyes’ first win over a Top 15 team since a 1-0 overtime win against No. 13 Missouri Sept. 6, 2012. The last time Ohio State defeated a team ranked as high as No. 8 was a 3-2 win at No. 8 Virginia in the NCAA Sweet 16 Nov. 20, 2010.
- Ohio State is 8-0-0 when scoring at least two goals and 8-1-0 when scoring the first goal of a match.
SCOUTING MICHIGAN STATE
Michigan State is 8-5-4 overall, tied with the Buckeyes for seventh place in the conference with a 4-4-2 Big Ten record. Lexy Warner leads the Spartans with 10 points (3g, 4a) while Gabrielle Gauruder has been solid in goal, posting a 0.72 goals-against average with 79 saves in 17 starts.
Ohio State has a narrow 11-10-0 lead in the all-time series with the Spartans.
PRINCE NAMED B1G OFFENSIVE POW
Nichelle Prince was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, the conference office announced Aug. 25. The award is the fourth Big Ten honor of Prince’s career after garnering conference Freshman of the Week laurels three times as a freshman.
The forward from Ajax, Ontario, assisted on a pair of goals in a 6-2 win in the Buckeyes’ season-opener against Illinois State Aug. 21 and came back to score the game-winner in the 95th minute of Ohio State’s 1-0 overtime win over No. 8 Florida Aug. 23. The victory over the Gators was the Buckeyes’ first win over a Top 15 team since a 1-0 overtime win against No. 13 Missouri Sept. 6, 2012.
PARADISO, WOLCOTT NAMED 2015 CAPTAINS
Senior Michela Paradiso and redshirt junior Morgan Wolcott have been named team captains, head coach Lori Walker announced Aug. 14. In addition, Walker also announced junior Lindsay Agnew will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
BUCKEYES EARN NSCAA ACADEMIC AWARD
Ohio State has earned an NSCAA College Women’s Team Academic Award for the seventh time in the past eight years, the association announced Sept. 23. To qualify for the award, a team must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) to be eligible.
11 AT HOME...AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes 11 matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 19th-year head coach Lori Walker. She has guided the team to nine NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 211-146-37 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 224-169-38.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 115-46-17 all-time.
- Ohio State is 96-29-15 since 2003 and 50-17-7 since 2009.
Buckeye Trio Named Scholar All-Americans