COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 22 Ohio State women’s soccer team closes out the regular season at Penn State at 6 p.m. Wednesday in University Park, Pa.
Fans can follow live stats and video at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Ohio State picked up a crucial Big Ten win at rival Michigan, 2-1, Saturday night in Ann Arbor. Sammy Edwards gave the Buckeyes the early lead less than five minutes in and, after Michigan tied the match midway through the first half, Nichelle Prince answered back with the game-winner for the Buckeyes in the 54th minute. Devon Kerr made a season-high five saves and has allowed just one goal over 200 minutes in the Buckeyes’ last two contests.
WALKER IN 20TH SEASON AT HELM
Head coach Lori Walker is in her 20th season at Ohio State in 2016. The two-time Big Ten Coach of the Year (2001 and 2010) has led the team to 10 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 225-153-40 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 238-176-41.
IN THE RANKINGS
Ohio State is ranked 22nd in the latest RPI (Rating Percentage Index) rankings, released by the NCAA Monday. The Buckeyes are one of five Big Ten teams in the Top 25 along with No. 19 Nebraska, No. 20 Minnesota, No. 23 Rutgers and No. 24 Northwestern.
SOME MORE NOTES
- As a team, the Buckeyes rank second in the Big Ten with 1.78 goals per game and are fourth with 1.56 assists per contest.
- Lindsay Agnew is tied for third in the Big Ten and tied for 42nd nationally with 10 goals. Agnew’s 27 points also are tied for first in the Big Ten and tied for 27th nationally.
- Agnew’s seven assists are tied for second in the Big Ten while Nichelle Prince is tied for seventh in the conference with five assists.
- Prince has notched two of the 13 hat tricks in Ohio State history, accomplishing the feat against Northeastern and Northwestern in 2013. Sammy Edwards is the third Buckeye on the roster with a hat trick, scoring three times in a 4-2 win against Dayton in 2014.
- This season, the Buckeyes are slated to face five teams ranked the NSCAA preseason poll, including Penn State (No. 2), West Virginia (No. 6), Rutgers (No. 10), BYU (No. 16) and Virginia Tech (No. 17).
- Ohio State suffered just its first loss when scoring at least two goals in a game dating back to late 2013 in a 3-2 loss to Indiana Oct. 13. The defeat was the first for the Buckeyes when scoring at least two goals in a game since a 4-2 loss at No. 17 Penn State Oct. 17, 2013. Ohio State is 25-1-2 when scoring twice since that match, including 9-1-1 this season. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 last season.
- Ohio State is 9-0-1 when scoring first this season.
- The Buckeyes moved to 2-0-3 on the year in overtime matches with the scoreless draw vs. No. 19 Rutgers Oct. 16. Nichelle Prince (vs. Texas) and Haley Walker-Robinson (at Florida Gulf Coast) have previously scored overtime game-winners for the Buckeyes this season. Ohio State is now 5-0-6 in overtime matches over the last two seasons and is undefeated in its last 14 overtime matches.
Nichelle Prince has moved into a tie for eighth on the Ohio State career goals list with 27. The senior also has moved into fourth place on the Buckeyes’ career assists list with 20 and sixth with 74 career points.
Lindsay Agnew is tied for fourth with 18 career assists, 14th with 54 career points and 15th with 17 career goals.
EDWARDS NAMED B1G PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Sammy Edwards was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, the conference office announced Oct. 11. The forward scored twice in the Buckeyes’ 4-0 win at Maryland Thursday night before coming back to score the first goal and assist on another in a 4-1 victory at Purdue Sunday afternoon. Edwards, from Dublin, Ohio, is tied for second on the team with four goals in addition to a pair of assists.
SCOUTING PENN STATE
Penn State is 10-3-4 on the year, including 6-1-3 in Big Ten play. Frannie Crouse leads the Big Ten with 12 goals while Nickolette Driesse has tallied a team-high six assists. Amanda Dennis has seen the majority of time in goal, posting a 0.84 goals-against average with six shutouts.
Ohio State trails the all-time series with Penn State, 6-20-1.
PRINCE EARNS BRONZE WITH CANADA
Nichelle Prince earned a bronze medal with Canada’s 2-1 win over Brazil Aug. 19 in Sao Paulo.
Prince was named to the Canadian Olympic team this past summer, becoming the first women’s soccer Buckeye to compete in the Olympics when she came off the bench in Canada’s 3-1 win over Zimbabwe Aug. 6 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The senior played 21 minutes in a 2-1 win over Germany Aug. 9 and again came off the bench in the 85th minute of a 2-0 loss to the Germans in the semifinals Aug. 16. Canada then topped host Brazil, 2-1, Aug. 19 in Sao Paulo to earn the bronze medal.
MOUSSET CALLED TO CANADIAN U-20 CAMP
Marike Mousset has been called in to Canadian U-20 camp in preparation for the U-20 Women’s World Cup in November in Papua New Guinea. The initial development camp went from Sept. 5 to Sept. 16 with the next preparatory camp for Canada slated to begin Nov. 1 in Brisbane, Australia.
After sitting out the first four matches of the season, Mousset has come off the bench 10 times for the Buckeyes, playing a season-high 48 minutes in a 4-1 win at Purdue Oct. 9.
AGNEW, WOLCOTT NAMED 2016 CAPTAINS
Seniors Lindsay Agnew and Morgan Wolcott have been named captains of the 2016 Ohio State women’s soccer team, head coach Lori Walker announced Aug. 22. In addition, Walker announced junior Nikki Walts will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 20th-year head coach Lori Walker. She has guided the team to 10 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 225-153-40 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 238-176-41.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 121-49-19 all-time.
- Ohio State is 102-32-17 since 2003 and 56-20-9 since 2009.