Ohio State Hosts No. 10 Penn State Saturday Night at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State women’s soccer team hosts No. 10 Penn State Saturday night at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Kick between the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions is set for 6 p.m.
Fans can follow live stats and video at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
The Buckeyes dropped a 2-0 decision at No. 25 Rutgers last Thursday before bouncing back to top Indiana, 2-1, Sunday in Bloomington.
SOME MORE NOTES
- Michela Paradiso sits tied for fifth in Ohio State history with 17 assists.
- Nichelle Prince is tied for 11th on the Ohio State career goals list with 22. The junior also moved into a tie for ninth place on the Buckeyes’ career points list with 58.
- Prince has notched two of the 12 hat tricks in Ohio State history, accomplishing the feat against Northeastern and Northwestern in 2013.
- After missing all of 2014 with an injury, goalkeeper Jillian McVicker has made 29 saves and has tallied a 1.16 goals-against average.
- Prince is tied for seventh in the Big Ten with 18 points and and tied for second with six assists. Prince also is tied for 10th with six goals.
- Lindsay Agnew is tied for second in the conference with six assists while Nikki Walts is tied for 10th with four helpers.
- Devon Kerr’s 10 saves against Illinois were the most by a Buckeye since Katie Baumgardner made 10 saves in a 1-0 win at Michigan Oct. 21, 2011. The 10 saves also are tied for the most by any Big Ten goalkeeper this year.
- The Illinois State match marked the first six-goal game for the Buckeyes wins a 6-1 win over Northwestern Oct. 20, 2013.
- The victory over No. 8 Florida was the Buckeyes’ first win over a Top 15 team since a 1-0 overtime win against No. 13 Missouri Sept. 6, 2012. The last time Ohio State defeated a team ranked as high as No. 8 was a 3-2 win at No. 8 Virginia in the NCAA Sweet 16 Nov. 20, 2010.
- Ohio State is 8-0-0 when scoring at least two goals and 8-1-0 when scoring the first goal of a match.
SCOUTING PENN STATE
No. 10 Penn State is 11-3-2 overall and tied for second in the Big Ten with a 6-2-1 conference record. Mallory Weber (7g, 6a) leads the Nittany Lions with 20 points on the year while Megan Schafer has tallied a team-high eight goals. Britt Eckerstrom has posted five clean sheets and a 0.58 goals-against average which is good for 19th nationally and fourth in the Big Ten.
Ohio State is 6-18-1 all-time against Penn State.
PRINCE NAMED B1G OFFENSIVE POW
Nichelle Prince was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, the conference office announced Aug. 25. The award is the fourth Big Ten honor of Prince’s career after garnering conference Freshman of the Week laurels three times as a freshman.
The forward from Ajax, Ontario, assisted on a pair of goals in a 6-2 win in the Buckeyes’ season-opener against Illinois State Aug. 21 and came back to score the game-winner in the 95th minute of Ohio State’s 1-0 overtime win over No. 8 Florida Aug. 23. The victory over the Gators was the Buckeyes’ first win over a Top 15 team since a 1-0 overtime win against No. 13 Missouri Sept. 6, 2012.
PARADISO, WOLCOTT NAMED 2015 CAPTAINS
Senior Michela Paradiso and redshirt junior Morgan Wolcott have been named team captains, head coach Lori Walker announced Aug. 14. In addition, Walker also announced junior Lindsay Agnew will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
BUCKEYES EARN NSCAA ACADEMIC AWARD
Ohio State has earned an NSCAA College Women’s Team Academic Award for the seventh time in the past eight years, the association announced Sept. 23. To qualify for the award, a team must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) to be eligible.
11 AT HOME...AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes 11 matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 19th-year head coach Lori Walker. She has guided the team to nine NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 211-145-37 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 224-168-38.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
- The home team is 115-45-17 all-time.
- Ohio State is 96-28-15 since 2003 and 50-16-7 since 2009.
Ohio State closes out the regular season against Michigan State at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 28 at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.